Need a new Camera!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Need a new Camera! Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:27 pm
    ----
I have an old Kodak C533 camera which is okay for general use. I want to get one for taking photos of vehicles, to include good closeups. I have all those old tanks in the junkyard near me that I would like to document better and post updates here. Any suggestions? $500 is max limit Laughing

#2: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 pm
    ----
These were done with a Nikon D40 6 MP with the standard 18-55mm lens. 530. at Beach Camera. I'm happy with it. I think either the Nikon or the Canon in this price range will do most anything we do and do it well. The lens is wide enough to shoot in most cramped places.

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:34 pm
    ----
i have a canon 400d and a Fuji Finepix S9500 Zoom i would say for the type of photography you guys do the fuji wins hands down, the auto settings seem foolproof plus it gives the feel of a slr in body style. the canon slr range are fine if you dont mind haulin lensses etc but the auto settings are pretty much crap, dont know about canon compacts so cant comment www.fujifilm.co.uk/dig...tech_specs

#4: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:06 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
These were done with a Nikon D40 6 MP with the standard 18-55mm lens. 530. at Beach Camera. I'm happy with it. I think either the Nikon or the Canon in this price range will do most anything we do and do it well. The lens is wide enough to shoot in most cramped places.

Good advice - I've lost track of the number of times I've struggled to frame a whole tank (particularly to include the gun); I use a 22-90mm lens.

#5: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 am
    ----
one criteria I have for a camera is that it use standard (AA or AAA) batteries rather than a model specific battery pack. I use rechargeables and have a recharger pack that works in my car so I can charge one set while using the other. I find that with a high capacity memory card I can run out of battery before I run out of space on the card.

#6: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:45 am
    ----
Yes,

The AAA/AA battery ability is a must. In Iraq our "Official" camera used a unique battery pack and we had no spare. Good thing was it held a long charge and used a 2 Gig memory card. It had a 6 megepixal capability but the pictures were still kinda crappy. I had an older Sony camera with only 3.2 megapixals but it took much better pictures. It had a Zeiss lens (They make some nice Scopes) which led me to believe that was the difference. But I am no camera expert. Also, having a can of compressed air to keep the lens and camera clean is good to have.

Joe D

#7: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 am
    ----
- bsmart
one criteria I have for a camera is that it use standard (AA or AAA) batteries rather than a model specific battery pack. I use rechargeables and have a recharger pack that works in my car so I can charge one set while using the other. I find that with a high capacity memory card I can run out of battery before I run out of space on the card.

Hear, Hear! Same for me for travel (international) AA's are available everywhere and it's teh sux to be somewhere with one shot to get the pix and no juice for lack of an appropriate outlet or adaptor where you need it. I won't have a travel camera that won't work on AA's.

#8: Re: Need a new Camera! Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm
    ----
I'm headed to Kubinka Saturday, I will take the Nikon D40, the 18-55 lens, 8 GB of memory, a Vivitar 285HV flash and a tripod. Lets see how it works. I found at Knox setting the flash to 1/16th power put out a nice amount of light. I also set the camera to the Scene setting, it seems to give more depth of field. We will see how this works..... I have never had a battery run down, but I do carry a spare. The reviews say you get 470 non-flash shots with a hot battery. I'm sure the Canons and others are similar

-> AFV News Discussion Board