A "new" Panzer III in Norway??
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:44 am
    ----
Hello,

One of my contacts on the web (Andreas Platte) sent me this link, which shows a Panzer III which is unknown to me for the moment. It seems that this Panzer III is located in Norway (maybe in Rena Leir?). Who could tell me more about that?

http://www.mil.no/haren/start/article.jhtml?articleID=111224

Thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:18 pm
    ----
Yes, the whole article is about Rena. It will be part of the Rena Leir Military Vehicle History Park due to be opened next spring. The Pz III will be displayed (I'm guessing outside) side by side with the T34/85 and 8 other vehicles. Nothing is said about its origin.

#3: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:36 pm
    ----
That's good news !! And now shoud it be possible to get some good pictures of that Panzer III? Laughing

Thanks

P-O

#4: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 pm
    ----
Seems that the Rena Leir Military Vehicle History Park is already opened.

http://www.mil.no/haren/start/article.jhtml?articleID=122915

They also have a Hotchkiss H-39 that was not listed in on my website.

But I wonder why I don't find any other photos from this History Park on the web. Is it a secretive park or what?

P-O

#5: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:53 pm
    ----
The Norwegians assumed ownership of ex-German tanks after the surrender. The story was that they used the tanks for their intended purpose for a while, then built them into static defences around airfields. The hulls were stripped and badly battered over the years. The one in the picture looks in very good shape.

From Wikipedia's Norwegian language page (!), machine translated:

"IN Norwegian duty

Dates back to PzKpfw III in Norwegian duty. Advocacy cast-off Panzer III along with StuG III after the fight. P this the time owned advocacy only Chaffee ease armour , as they had ftt as vpengave at USA. These became ledge at hrens stridsvogneskadroner , looked like donated a absence p armour at flyplassforsvar.

A number of Panzer III became accumulated p Trandum , mended and dpt Armour KW III. Most owned tilhrt 15. Panzerdivision , and owned still rkenkamuflasje. British boost owned sabotage canons p ending at the fight , the accumulations they mtte do repair work. All stayed equipped mm LEGAL /60 and mm LEGAL /24. This deemed Advocacy stayed inadequate , and apiece branch getting ogs allocated a 75 mm panservernkanon.

The band became organised in november and December 1948, and at 1. October 1949 stayed dragonregimentene responsible for the band. Dragonregiment 1 managed stridsvogntroppene p The sun and Degrade Dragonregiment 2 was responsible for the band p Eggemoen and Dragonregiment 3 was responsible for the band p Vrnes and Bardufoss. Department p The sun stayed it frste as getting a stridsvongtropp , along with three Panzer III StuG III and a StuG III at reserve. They three Panzer III - carts p Bardufoss became embedded constant nrforsvarsstillinger p flystasjonen f r after the fight , and a at these am cooperate dug up afresh. The cart do be about renovate and calm edged either p Forsvarsmuseet in Oslo , or in Tromso Forsvarsmuseum p Setermoen. They dates back to other carts do be about ogs bucket up in the summer of 2007.

Panzer III carts became loot edged along with American aid in 1951, but stayed in service some time after at the same time as facts new the hardware."

#6: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:25 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
The Norwegians assumed ownership of ex-German tanks after the surrender. The story was that they used the tanks for their intended purpose for a while, then built them into static defences around airfields. The hulls were stripped and badly battered over the years. The one in the picture looks in very good shape.

From Wikipedia's Norwegian language page (!), machine translated:

"IN Norwegian duty

Dates back to PzKpfw III in Norwegian duty. Advocacy cast-off Panzer III along with StuG III after the fight. P this the time owned advocacy only Chaffee ease armour , as they had ftt as vpengave at USA. These became ledge at hrens stridsvogneskadroner , looked like donated a absence p armour at flyplassforsvar.

A number of Panzer III became accumulated p Trandum , mended and dpt Armour KW III. Most owned tilhrt 15. Panzerdivision , and owned still rkenkamuflasje. British boost owned sabotage canons p ending at the fight , the accumulations they mtte do repair work. All stayed equipped mm LEGAL /60 and mm LEGAL /24. This deemed Advocacy stayed inadequate , and apiece branch getting ogs allocated a 75 mm panservernkanon.

The band became organised in november and December 1948, and at 1. October 1949 stayed dragonregimentene responsible for the band. Dragonregiment 1 managed stridsvogntroppene p The sun and Degrade Dragonregiment 2 was responsible for the band p Eggemoen and Dragonregiment 3 was responsible for the band p Vrnes and Bardufoss. Department p The sun stayed it frste as getting a stridsvongtropp , along with three Panzer III StuG III and a StuG III at reserve. They three Panzer III - carts p Bardufoss became embedded constant nrforsvarsstillinger p flystasjonen f r after the fight , and a at these am cooperate dug up afresh. The cart do be about renovate and calm edged either p Forsvarsmuseet in Oslo , or in Tromso Forsvarsmuseum p Setermoen. They dates back to other carts do be about ogs bucket up in the summer of 2007.

Panzer III carts became loot edged along with American aid in 1951, but stayed in service some time after at the same time as facts new the hardware."

Arghhh ... next time just ask me to translate it Wink It's the same text as on Achtung Panzer BTW.

Panzers in post war Norwegian service.

Last edited by Rikard_Hufschmied on Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:31 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Seems that the Rena Leir Military Vehicle History Park is already opened.

http://www.mil.no/haren/start/article.jhtml?articleID=122915

They also have a Hotchkiss H-39 that was not listed in on my website.

But I wonder why I don't find any other photos from this History Park on the web. Is it a secretive park or what?

P-O

I should have checked the date of the article (2005), so I assume they opened as scheduled in spring 2006. Rena leir is an active military installation so there is certainly restricted access, esp. for foreigners.

#8: Re: A "new" Panzer III in Norway?? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:54 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
The Norwegians assumed ownership of ex-German tanks after the surrender.

Arghhh ... next time just ask me to translate it Wink It's the same text as on Achtung Panzer BTW.

Panzers in post war Norwegian service.

I never claimed to have a perfect grasp of Norwegian, but for the short time the posting was up, it did explain 60% of the history. Thanks for the correct link, and yes the internet translators aren't very reliable.

-> AFV News Discussion Board