VATSIM
-> Officer's Club

#1: VATSIM Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 pm
    ----
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with VATSIM. I want to be involved with it to enhance my ATC phraseology...where there's always room for improvement.

Is it a good program to get into?

Any personal experiences?

#2: Re: VATSIM Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:43 pm
    ----
depends Moser,

As long you state clearly that you are a newby and that you are willing to learn, it shall be OK, unfortunatly you can encounter the "proverbial" A$$ there that tears your head off if you make a mistake, at the of the day it's you who decides if you like it or not, but it could be a good learning expirience.

#3: Re: VATSIM Author: WolfeLocation: Away Down South in Dixie, USA PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:29 pm
    ----
Excuse my ignorance; but what is "VATSIM"?

Wolfe Confused

#4: Re: VATSIM Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:43 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Fledermaus
depends Moser,

As long you state clearly that you are a newby and that you are willing to learn, it shall be OK, unfortunatly you can encounter the "proverbial" A$$ there that tears your head off if you make a mistake, at the of the day it's you who decides if you like it or not, but it could be a good learning expirience.

I tried it out today...on two different flights. Some of the ATC operations are different from what I have experience in. I did have my head torn off my some German dude, but the second time I advised ATC I was a student pilot and I tried my best to follow along. The Brits were more forgiving than the Germans. In the end, I did learn a lot, but made a lot of silly mistakes. Like barometric pressure...1024...I'm like how is it only 10.24 inches? But then it struck me that they use Millibars in Europe I guess.

In the end, it feels like a real ATC. I get really embarrassed by my confusion and not so good radio calls.

Wolfe, VATSIM is an online ATC for flight simulators. About an average of 400 pilots and at least a hundred controllers are logged during daytime hours.

#5: Re: VATSIM Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:14 pm
    ----
Well, I did tell ya Laughing

#6: Re: VATSIM Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:59 pm
    ----
- RAF92_Moser
I did have my head torn off my some German dude
I hope you reminded him of the lost British Airways pilots' retort when asked by Frankfurt ATC if he'd never been there before.

("Yes, but it was during the war and I wasn't able to stay long!")

#7: Re: VATSIM Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:16 pm
    ----
- Shades
- RAF92_Moser
I did have my head torn off my some German dude
I hope you reminded him of the lost British Airways pilots' retort when asked by Frankfurt ATC if he'd never been there before.

("Yes, but it was during the war and I wasn't able to stay long!")

"Yes, twice, in 1944...but it was dark and we didn't stop...." Wink

-> Officer's Club