For our Biker members
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: For our Biker members Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:33 am
    ----
here is an idea for a different use for your Harley's engine

www.skyray.us/Loehle%2...eplica.htm

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: For our Biker members Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 am
    ----
Terrific....makes almost as much sense as this:

www.jrlcycles.com/albu...370908.htm

www.jrlcycles.com/page...187437.htm

Why they don't leave the dang engines in the craft they were designed for is beyond me...other than for the sake of just being different. Rolling Eyes

Well, there's always Leno's Helicopter turbine-powered bike...

#3: Re: For our Biker members Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:06 am
    ----
They tested the 'Hunter' UAV when I was at White Sands. It had two Moto Guzzi motorcycle engines.

#4: Re: For our Biker members Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
Hi Ascout! HI Folks!

- JG300-Ascout

I understand Mr Leno also has a car that has an engine for a M88A0 in it! Now that's an engine!

Sgt, Scouts out!

#5: Re: For our Biker members Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
I think Ascout's just cranky because they didn't use it in a mini BF-109 Mr. Green

Jeff Lewis

#6: Re: For our Biker members Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Ascout! HI Folks!

- JG300-Ascout

I understand Mr Leno also has a car that has an engine for a M88A0 in it! Now that's an engine!

Sgt, Scouts out!

www.diseno-art.com/enc...k_car.html

Actually, he has a car with an M47 engine in it...the "Blastolene Special" (unless he's built the other thing, too).

#7: Re: For our Biker members Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:03 pm
    ----
Hi Ascout! Hi Folks!

- JG300-Ascout
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Ascout! HI Folks!

- JG300-Ascout

Sgt, Scouts out!

www.diseno-art.com/enc...k_car.html

Actually, he has a car with an M47 engine in it...the "Blastolene Special" (unless he's built the other thing, too).

That's the one I was thinking of. Razz

That was an alertness test and you passed the test! Mr. Green

M47? I was thinking he had said that engine came out of a big tracked tow truck. Sad

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: For our Biker members Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:17 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Why they don't leave the dang engines in the craft they were designed for is beyond me...other than for the sake of just being different. Rolling Eyes

Actually it's a good question.....back when I lived a life of foolin' myself that I'd have time to do it and was looking at homebuilt kits, the big issue in light, experimental "homebuilt" aircraft is trying to find an economical good, reliable powerplant that has an attractive power-to-weight ratio. Without breaking the bank on the specialized powerplants like Rotax, etc that cost so much not due to technology in 'em, but because of liability precautions that lead to a certain level of legal fees and FAA approval to protect their butts from survivor lawsuits in case some knucklehead screws up and augers in...or just flat forgets to put gas in the tanks, a.k.a. the "John Denver" method of air travel.

People have even converted Chevy V-8's for use in semi-scale homebuilt Mustangs. Now personally I'd think the powerplant from a Gold Wing would probably be optimum but then there's the radiator and associated weight of the liquid cooling system. From a cost and weight standpoint, what commonly-available air-cooled engine has a better history of evolution and proven performance than the modern-day HD engine?

Plus you could put some pretty looud pipes on it and sound cool going down the taxiway.....handlebar tassels and "dew rag" not included!

#9: Re: For our Biker members Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:40 pm
    ----
There have been several (many?) built with VW aircooled engines

Oh - Ther eis the story about 2 F-15s that took of rom the UK to fly home to Bitburg Germany and found out while over the North Sea that the problem wasn't that the fuel sesor system was broke but that they hadn't been filled up by the transient folks. We were told that both flamed out and the pilots had to eject and be rescued. That was back in 78 or so

-> AFV News Discussion Board