What vehicle is this?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What vehicle is this? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:25 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo over at the Army dot Mil site. I was setting here looking at it and wonder which new mine protected vehicle that was. Neutral
It took about 30 seconds before I woke up Shocked and saw which vehicle was under all that gear. Confused

For those who would like to read the caption and view the smaller photo:
www.army.mil/-images/2...0/09/9030/

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:35 am
    ----
M1114 Seriously modified...

Don

#3: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Don

M1114?

I hope the modifications encluded the drive train and the suspension system. I remember when the M1114 was first fielded, there where reports that the drive train and suspension was overloaded and the vehicle would not last as long as the non-armored Hummers.

Not only has a lot of stuff been added to the vehicle frame, but look at those troops! Those guys must weight between 250 and possible 300 pounds with all the gear they are wearing. I wonder what the gross weight of that vehicle with five troopers and supplies for a mission is.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:29 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Don

M1114?

I hope the modifications encluded the drive train and the suspension system. I remember when the M1114 was first fielded, there where reports that the drive train and suspension was overloaded and the vehicle would not last as long as the non-armored Hummers.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

We had XM1114's in Bosnia. The biggest problem was the wheel studs. They would snap due to the weight overload. Rims and brakes were also a big problem.

(Camp Demi Bosnia- March thru Sept 1999. 2/12 CAV, 1st CAV DIV)

While I was there, all our XM1114's MWO's installed. Primarily extra heavy duty coil springs.

(MWO= Modification Work Order)

I imagine that there is a constant problem with over loaded vehicles, with all the armor add on packages.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:57 pm
    ----
Those are M1152's based on the M1123 2.2-ton version.

We have a couple in that configuration and they belong to people who do not normally go off base.

#6: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Could be at Butler Range or possibly Udari in Kuwait, I think more Butler.
Trucks look just like the M1114's we had with the exception of the extra antenna do-hicky's. The doors are the FRAG 5 kit, not the interem either that added an additional plate over the original door and gave some spacing in it. They also have the new "Rock Island" turrets, Electric drive. Uses the same motor as my nephew's electric wheel chair.

Did anyone notice the problems in the picture???

Here's another of the same bunch training,

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10605/2army_mil-2007-10-09-122840_1_%7E1.jpg[/img]

Sorry, the NCO/OCT in me came out. At least this isn't as bad as that joker who was protecting the M7 at Fort Dix.

Joe D

#7: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 pm
    ----
I can see the problem with the muzzle in the dirt in the second picture
I assume the problem with the two guys on the right edge of the first photo is being in front of the 50 cal.

What is the problem with the guy kneeling in the center of the picture?

#8: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 pm
    ----
I don't see the problem...apart from being below the firing line of the gun, either one of these guys might the one who's station that is so it might be unmanned anyway. In any case, a .50 on an M113 is closer the the head of it's driver.

#9: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:18 pm
    ----
Hi Bob,

He's still got his protective covers over the M68 sight. If you're gonna have a magazine in, be ready to use it. I would hope he at least has a round in the chamber. The Gunner on the .50 is so limited in visability he probably doesn't even notice the guys to his front. Could get bad quickly if he decides to engage something. In that kinda terrain he should be up with optics/binos, not chilling out under his shade. My opinion for what it's worth.

Joe D

#10: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:10 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Did anyone notice the problems in the picture???

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10605/2army_mil-2007-10-09-122840_1_%7E1.jpg[/img]

Sorry, the NCO/OCT in me came out. At least this isn't as bad as that joker who was protecting the M7 at Fort Dix.

Joe D

HAHAHA....(flashbacks of 1 Ft Riley, 1 Ft Bragg, 2 Camp Shelby, 2 Ft McCoy, 3 Ft Drum, 3 Ft Campbell, and several Ft Knox training events...)

I spent many hectic hours assembling AAR comments and scanning thru those very same type photos prior to the briefing commanders final review Then conducting countless AARs and Commanders Briefings.

Joe....LET IT GOOOOO. You are soon to join the 'afterlife'.

Regards

#11: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:05 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

I don't see the problem...apart from being below the firing line of the gun, either one of these guys might the one who's station that is so it might be unmanned anyway. In any case, a .50 on an M113 is closer the the head of it's driver.

I have to disagree Doug. Yes, the driver's head is closer, but the end of barrel is a few inches out in front of his face. Those two guys are out in front of the end of the barrel.

As for one of them being the .50 gunner, if that is the case, I have a problem with no one manning that weapon. Doesn't feel right to this very old Scout.

Good thing they are only training and not reacting to contact.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: What vehicle is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 am
    ----
Doug,

The Gunner's in there, look at the rear window closely. The original site the photo is very large, makes it easy to pick out all the stuff. Unfortunately many gunner's do this for real. When moving they are the only way to return fire if engaged.

Dontos,

Yeah, I know, but old habits die hard. I got my orders yesterday, It is official now, end of November I start terminal leave. Gotta grow up now.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board