Good news about Panther N
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:47 pm
    ----
Alternatively, keep the level of dialogue in this thread high, print it out and deliver it to the owner.

It's difficult to imagine a more dramatic display that what we see in these two pictures:

foto.arcor-online.net/...333962.jpg

foto.arcor-online.net/...653061.jpg

I favor no restoration of any kind and maintaing the display as reflected at the time of this thread.

Doug Kibbey - U.S. Army 1971-1973, Vietnam 1971-1972 (101st Abn. and 11th Armored Cav., M113 ACAV track cmdr. in the latter).

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

#17: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:01 pm
    ----
Hi Fellow CIA members and other Folks!

I agree, leave it as is!

Add my name to this list.

Roy A. Lingle (Retired SFC/E7, U.S. Army)
Sgt, Scouts out!

#18: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: fitzday PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 pm
    ----
I've got to agree with the rest of you. Leave it as is. Looks very awe inspiring as it stands. By the way, does anyone know if this damage was caused by a combat hit or was this panther destroyed by a demolition charge set by the crew.

#19: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 pm
    ----
The way that Panther is display wraps up everything about armored warfare in WWII. It shows the awesome power of the tanks, as well as the massive destruction that could be laid upon them. I agree that it should be displayed as is.

A former tanker,

Charles Begnaud
1LT US ARMY 1985 -1995

#20: Even better news about Panther N° 243 Author: Andre_FlenerLocation: G.D. of Luxembourg PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:55 am
    ----
According to the person, who took these photos (See: German forum ), the sign in front of this Panther states that it will be displayed like that: "Also die Tafel, die den Panther beschrieb, sprach davon, dass er so bleiben soll."

It also seems as the 'restores' built a special frame, which holds the different parts of this jigsaw puzzle in the correct positions.

So there's no need to make a petition.

Regards,
André Flener
(also fluent in German)

#21: Re: Even better news about Panther N° 243 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:19 am
    ----
- Andre_Flener
According to the person, who took these photos (See: German forum ), the sign in front of this Panther states that it will be displayed like that: "Also die Tafel, die den Panther beschrieb, sprach davon, dass er so bleiben soll."

It also seems as the 'restores' built a special frame, which holds the different parts of this jigsaw puzzle in the correct positions.

So there's no need to make a petition.

Regards,
André Flener
(also fluent in German)

Yup, I just read it as well. I got so exited over the pictures that I forgot to read the posts.

Best,
Rik
(not so fluent in German, reading and speaking I can get away with but not writing ...)

#22: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:23 am
    ----
- fitzday
I've got to agree with the rest of you. Leave it as is. Looks very awe inspiring as it stands. By the way, does anyone know if this damage was caused by a combat hit or was this panther destroyed by a demolition charge set by the crew.

It was probably blown up by the crew after getting deeply bogged down in the swamp where it was later found.

#23: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:34 pm
    ----
Seriously, I find this is the most appealing Panther display to date for a wide number of reasons. First and foremost it sets the imagination in motion, a still if you like of that day in February 1944 when it was put out of action. I will have to go see this one on site, pictures are NOT enough.

#24: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
Seriously, I find this is the most appealing Panther display to date for a wide number of reasons. First and foremost it sets the imagination in motion, a still if you like of that day in February 1944 when it was put out of action. I will have to go see this one on site, pictures are NOT enough.

Maybe we could meet each other there because I also need to go back to this museum, to see that Panther and for some other reasons (one never go too many times to the Sinsheim Museum).

Let me know if you have a chance to arrange a trip, I can virtually go there at any time... (and find another good reason not to study on week-ends..)

Pierre-Olivier

#25: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:30 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Rikard_Hufschmied

Maybe we could meet each other there because I also need to go back to this museum, to see that Panther and for some other reasons (one never go too many times to the Sinsheim Museum).

Let me know if you have a chance to arrange a trip, I can virtually go there at any time... (and find another good reason not to study on week-ends..)

Pierre-Olivier

Rest assured that I will collect on that offer as soon as time permits, a plane ticket from Stockholm to Hahn (can you believe they call it Frankfurt-Hahn!) is only 35-40€ over the weekend. In the words of the Ahnuld - I'll be back Smile

Cheers,
Rik

#26: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 pm
    ----
I guess the folks at Sinsheim knew what they were doing, Look at the re-actions that got out of us before we knew that was their plan Laughing .

To whoever made the decision, I say Bravo!!!!

Joe D

#27: Re: Good news about Panther N° 243 found in Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:55 am
    ----
More photos from the Panther at Sinsheim :

http://www.panther1944.de/Panther/a_sinsheim.htm

I'm sure that some of you will enjoy these pics !! I can't wait to go to see it, most probably in April !!

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board