M4A1 76 mm VVSS DD tank?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M4A1 76 mm VVSS DD tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:40 am
    ----
That is most likely, though it might have a slightly more interesting history, as the French certainly did a lot of experiments with Shermans and their prototypes generally ended up at Saumur. For example, at Saumur it was sitting next to an M4A1 with an oscillating turret (PTIF#110) and near an M4A2 with the super-long 75-50 gun (PTIF#111).

#17: Re: M4A1 76 mm VVSS DD tank? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:18 am
    ----
Hi Tanker 2010! Hi Folks!

- tanker2010

I think it's just something they threw together at Samur.

That is always possible. We may in time learn that is true. Sad

But until we have information for that, I am thinking it is a early British DD 76 mm test vehicle which pre-dates the M4A2 HVSS 76 at APG's. Confused

We do know the British tested the DD system on a 76 mm Sherman, it is more likely that they put together more than just one.

Sometime after it was retired, it somehow ended up at Samur. Sence it is not a production vehicle, has no combat history, and is one (or possible two) of a kind, it has no priority on being cleaned up and put on displayed.

Does anyone have any contacts at Samur who can check to see if the museum has any records on the vehicle?

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board