M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

On my way back from Knox I went to check out this girl at the SGT Alvin C. York Historical Park in Pall Mall Tennessee.

Larger Image>ComCentral

Larger Image>ComCentral

The Serial Number is A1D250

Larger Image>ComCentral

Joe D

#2: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm
    ----
I once heard there is one at a 278 ACR Armory somewhere (waving right arm away from body, to the South...) YONDER.... Wink

No idea of actual location, rumor was.....it's operational (!!???) Rolling Eyes

(With extreme doubt) Cool

Don

#3: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:34 pm
    ----
Dontos,

Yes, there is another at the Jamestown Armory, A1D320, and yes, it is operational to the extent it will fire up and the FCS still can pass a self test (As of MAR 06) once in a while, from what the local MG told me. It is just south of this one on the same highway. They also have an M60A3.

Joe D

#4: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:38 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Dontos,

Yes, there is another at the Jamestown Armory, A1D320, and yes, it is operational to the extent it will fire up and the FCS still can pass a self test (As of MAR 06) once in a while, from what the local MG told me. It is just south of this one on the same highway. They also have an M60A3.

Joe D

Can you get me a photo, or several? I know an individual who has R&D time on the 'DIVAD' (Sgt York) & might be very interested..... 'nuff said'

Cool
Don

#5: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
Any remnants of an M48 serial number on the glacias or a registration number visible through paint on the flanks?

Last edited by bsmart on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
Here's a few I took about 2 years ago, let me know if you want detail shots.

ComCentral
ComCentral
ComCentral

Serial Number
ComCentral

Joe D

#7: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi everyone,

On my way back from Knox I went to check out this girl at the SGT Alvin C. York Historical Park in Pall Mall Tennessee.

Larger Image>ComCentral

Larger Image>ComCentral

The Serial Number is A1D250

Larger Image>ComCentral

Joe D

Here is some feedback I got from a SME in DIVAD project:

On the Sgt. York. That’s the Ford version of the unit, which is the one selected by the Army and then subsequently cancelled. A really rare thing for a collection would be the General Dynamics version, Ford’s competitor. On the GD version, the manufacturer integrated four Stinger missiles which were not mentioned in the specification. The manufacturer’s studies indicated a need for firepower outside the required 6 km range ring to combat a stand-off helicopter; the Stinger provided that very nicely. The Army insisted that wasn’t required and added expense, so they selected the Ford without the Stinger. After the project entered production, a bunch of think tanks repeated GD’s studies and proved the statement of requirements to be deficient (just as GD had said). The whole thing blew up in front of some congressional committees and the program was cancelled. That was the end of the story.

So....any GD copies floating around 'out there'

Don

#8: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:51 am
    ----
Wow, great story Don. Nice pics too Joe.

I don't know what it is about American armor that 'never made' or was cancelled but they do capture my attention.

Jeff

#9: Re: M247 SGT York at Pall Mall TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
Bob,
No, sorry, I'm sure I could've found one if I broke out the old Dremel tool but I doubt they would like it.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board