SoCal fires....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:46 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-Stoopy
Status Check!

CNN says 300,000 evacuees so far...hopefully no piggies have had their homes threatened yet?

Evening News now says 950,000 evacuees 'The largest peacetime movement of Americans since the Civil War'

Pictures of a converted DC-10 dropping retardent. They are bringing in C-130s (didn't say whether Reserve Guard or Active) set up to drop retardent

Fixed wing couldn't even fly for the first two days...rotary wing only conditions have been so bad. Wink

#17: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 pm
    ----
It's been confirmed, the Phillipine Mars has been deployed to California. One mars, a flight crew and all of the support staff needed will be in California tomarrow. Consider this BC's contribution to the effort (at a hefty $12,000 CDN per hour of flight.) Look to the skys to see the big red and white behemoth above raining devastation on the fire...

#18: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:49 pm
    ----
- RAF92_BattleHawk
It's been confirmed, the Phillipine Mars has been deployed to California. One mars, a flight crew and all of the support staff needed will be in California tomarrow. Consider this BC's contribution to the effort (at a hefty $12,000 CDN per hour of flight.) Look to the skys to see the big red and white behemoth above raining devastation on the fire...

I hope they can actually fly, they've been unable to fly much fixed wing due to winds and visability thus far. If not here, maybe they can make themselves useful on some of the other fires in California burning at the moment.

#19: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:04 am
    ----
You Folks Take care and Good Luck!

Roy,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#20: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:41 am
    ----
- RAF92_BattleHawk

The scale of fire attack aircraft has increased in the last few years

From old B-26s and S2Fs through C-54s, P3s and DC7s. I've seen footage of a converted 747, there is the Mars and a DC-10 in footage on TV yesterday. The twin engine CL-215 has been a staple for years. The Air Force created slide in kits for C-130s which I always thought was the obvious next step as the old warbirds had to be retired. I just can't see a DC-10 or 747 working in that environment

#21: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am
    ----
- bsmart
I've seen footage of a converted 747
Linky!!!
I wanna see that.

Smile

#22: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm
    ----
- Shades
- bsmart
I've seen footage of a converted 747
Linky!!!
I wanna see that.

Smile

Wish I had one. I saw it on Discovery or History Channel (Modern Marvels?) It has big tanks installed on the main deck and dump valves under the belly. It is NOT set up to scoop water from a lake like the CL-215 and some others are.

Oh Doug posted an update over in a thread on the AFVnews group just after 9 AM EDT (6 AM PDT)
www.com-central.net/in...9088#59088

He considers it lucky he is between the two biggest fires Rolling Eyes

#23: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:04 pm
    ----
[quote="bsmart"]
- Shades
It is NOT set up to scoop water from a lake
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Don't wanna see it anymore.

Wink

#24: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm
    ----
[quote="Shades"]
- bsmart
- Shades
It is NOT set up to scoop water from a lake
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Don't wanna see it anymore.

Wink

Can you imagine the roostertail from thos 4 JT-9D engines (as well as the chum they would spread as they sucked in fish, chopped them up roasted them and spit them out)

Just the footage of it rolling in for a dump run was impressive

#25: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:39 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- RAF92_BattleHawk

The scale of fire attack aircraft has increased in the last few years

From old B-26s and S2Fs through C-54s, P3s and DC7s. I've seen footage of a converted 747, there is the Mars and a DC-10 in footage on TV yesterday. The twin engine CL-215 has been a staple for years. The Air Force created slide in kits for C-130s which I always thought was the obvious next step as the old warbirds had to be retired. I just can't see a DC-10 or 747 working in that environment

And don't forget the "FireSnake" or "Fire Cobra". Wink

#26: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

Ya got me on those. What are they (he nervously asks knowing this group )

#27: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-fr8ycat

Ya got me on those. What are they (he nervously asks knowing this group )

LOL, Nothing to be scared of, just a new lease on life for the AH1.

www.npr.org/templates/...Id=3926462

#28: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 pm
    ----
Hey Ascout, been around a forest fire or two myself, scary sh*t, fortunately none as bad as what your going through. Please keep youself and your family as safe as possible. We need all the good guys we can get

Jeff Lewis
ditto from Der Baron

#29: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:14 pm
    ----
...and also thanks for the update. Been watching the news and sweating it out for you's. Best of luck and hope all goes well.

#30: Re: SoCal fires.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
Well, I'm back at work today, which is a good thing (it means there's a place to come back to work to...and the Nat'l Guard isn't blocking access like they were for the last two days). It's not so smokey over here on the east side of Miramar now...the fire has moved west and is on Pendleton. I'm not sure what the Harris fire is doing right now. Winds have weakened, it seems, I'm not watching TV now. You can probably get better news from the local television online website since I'm now at work:

www.10news.com

We still have quite a few employees unaccounted for, meaning they've evacuated and are staying somewhere and don't know the status of their homes and still can't get to work because the routes are cut off, especially if they come from north of San Diego County or points east (I-5 and I-15 are both closed beyond a certain point).

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

-> Officer's Club