M109A6 PIM - Bradley based!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:43 am
    ----

#2: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 pm
    ----
Makes sense to me since the MLRS is also Bradley based.

At least some one has decided the lighter tracked common chassis will be M2 based, I doubt if the heavy will ever be M1, with the exception of the few "Wolverine" AVLB's the M48/M60 series seems to be filling that role and will be for some time with the M88 and older AVLB's. Any theories why??

BTW, that kinda looks like M1A2 T-158 track. Probably explains the outrigger/hull extensions.

Joe D

#3: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:10 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

At least some one has decided the lighter tracked common chassis will be M2 based, I doubt if the heavy will ever be M1, with the exception of the few "Wolverine" AVLB's the M48/M60 series seems to be filling that role and will be for some time with the M88 and older AVLB's. Any theories why??

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remember it wasn't long ago when the statements were made that heavy forces were a thing of the past. Since heavy forces were dead why spend any money on next generation support vehicles based on the latest tank. Just have the older designs soldier on. After all they are all going to be retired soon. After all heavy forces are a thing of the past

But then things changed. But now the need is immediate and there is no time to develop new systems based on a newer chassis. Just do the minimum neccesary to make the old ones work. Oh and because operational costs are up there is no money for developing anything that can't be deployed right away

#4: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:01 pm
    ----
That track must me similar to the new double-pin track they developed for the M113 FOV.

#5: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
- bsmart
After all heavy forces are a thing of the past

The tank is dead, Bob..has been for quite some time...don't tell me you're only now getting the memo?! Laughing

#6: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:27 am
    ----
- Joe_D

BTW, that kinda looks like M1A2 T-158 track. Probably explains the outrigger/hull extensions.

Joe D

Yeah but T-158 unsupported?? (ie no support rollers...ouch!!)

I hope this is a spin-off (lighter weight) of the T-158.

Don

#7: Re: M109A6 PIM - Bradley based! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 am
    ----
Don,

I know what you mean, I'm sure if it is it's the later (lighter) T158, If you look closely you can just make out the hollow center guides.

Bob,

$$$$$$$ is one main reason but another is that turbine, I'm sure it's one of the less quoted reasons why the M88 was upgraded instead of going with the M1 based version similar to the Leopard series. Can't be out recovering tanks when you gotta run in all the time for fuel. Those recovery guys log some serious miles. Besides, that's money too, especially now with oil almost 100 bucks a barrel.

Doug,

Noooooo !!!!! Never !!!!!!!!! , it's the turbine that's dead.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board