M4A2 bolts
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A2 bolts Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:52 pm
    ----
Hi Fellow CIA members and other folks!

During the model club meeting yesterday (Sunday Nov 4), one of the airplane guys asked us treadheads a question about some bolts on the rear of the M4A2 Sherman. He wanted to know what those bolts were for. This picture is cropped from Hunnicutt's Sheman book.

There are two lines of bolts. A line of six running acrossed the top edge of the upper rear plate and a line of two bolts running vertical between the two top edge ones.
I figure the line of six bolts are going into the removeable engine deck plate.
Does anyone know what the two vertical bolts are holding? Confused

Thanks Folks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 pm
    ----
I'll check the blueprints.....and see if there is an clue there....

Don

#3: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 am
    ----
The 'Firefly' At Aberdeen is actually the first ALCO M4A2 Hull. I'll try and look at it on Saturday and see what I can figure out

#4: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 pm
    ----
Searching the net I notice some M4A2's have a mounting bracket there for external stowage. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the deep water fording kit?

#5: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Fellow CIA members and other folks!

During the model club meeting yesterday (Sunday Nov 4), one of the airplane guys asked us treadheads a question about some bolts on the rear of the M4A2 Sherman. He wanted to know what those bolts were for. This picture is cropped from Hunnicutt's Sheman book.

There are two lines of bolts. A line of six running acrossed the top edge of the upper rear plate and a line of two bolts running vertical between the two top edge ones.
I figure the line of six bolts are going into the removeable engine deck plate.
Does anyone know what the two vertical bolts are holding? Confused

Thanks Folks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Here you go Roy.....

Looks like 'luggage Rack' mounting bolts...

Don

#6: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:13 pm
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Here you go Roy.....

Looks like 'luggage Rack' mounting bolts...

Luggage Rack? OK, maybe later in the development of the M4A2.

Those bolts show up on the M4A2 hull long before the luggage rack showed up. The local group of tread heads are thinking that the vertical line of bolts goes through the armor and is holding something that is on the other side and in area of the hot engine air exhaust flow.

The question is being asked about the M4A2s that the USMC landed on Tarawa. Those vehicles didn't have the standard Sherman luggage rack. The Marines had installed a rack for eight five gallon cans. The bottom of the rack lined up with the bottom edge of the upper rear hull plate and the top of the cans where just under the location of the sledge hammer and the track tension wrench.
This picture was cropped from Oscar E. (Ed) Gilbert's "Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific", on the bottom of page 123.

Thanks for looking Don!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:53 pm
    ----
Close up & better quality photo

#8: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:11 pm
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Close up & better quality photo

Outstanding photos! Thank you.

If you look at the top edge of that rack, there is a hinge that is mounted to the rear edge of the top engine deck plate. The lower part of the rack only rests against the upper rear hull plate. There is a space or stand off gap between the front side of the rack and the hull plate. The carrying location of the track tension wrench is still on the upper rear hull plate and under the luggege rack.

For the two bolts in question, the rack hangs over the top of the high one and the rack is not long enough to reach the lower one. The line of six bolts crossed the top edge of the rear hull plate are under the part of the rack that extends out from the top rear edge of the engine deck.

Good try, but you are on the wrong track. Thanks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:52 am
    ----
I couldn't find a good view and don't have an SNL for the M4A2, but I believe it is part of the mounting for the radiators, the plate they are attached to, or the air deflector that covers the radiators when cold.

The late war luggage rack was mounted by hinges on the top edge of the rear plate, as noted. It had to fold up to allow the exhaust deflectors to fold from under the overhang for suspension and muffler servicing.

KL

#10: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:53 am
    ----
Maybe its for this:

#11: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:07 am
    ----
Hello fellow CIA Agents and other Folks!

- toadmanstankpictures

Maybe its for this:

I think we have a BINGO!

It's an air flow divider plate!

One of things that was special about the A2s was one engine could still move the vehicle. Each engine has it's own air flow cooling fan and radiator. It must be that when one engine is off, that air flow divider plate keeps hot air from flowing back into the engine compartment and over heating the engine that is still running!

Good Work Chris!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: M4A2 bolts Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:43 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hello fellow CIA Agents and other Folks!

- toadmanstankpictures

Maybe its for this:

I think we have a BINGO!

It's an air flow divider plate!

One of things that was special about the A2s was one engine could still move the vehicle. Each engine has it's own air flow cooling fan and radiator. It must be that when one engine is off, that air flow divider plate keeps hot air from flowing back into the engine compartment and over heating the engine that is still running!

Good Work Chris!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Cool! Now I know what it is for. As this picture is on one of my CD's, I'll have to update the caption.

-> AFV News Discussion Board