75mm M3 GMC
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 75mm M3 GMC Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
Came across a few seconds of footage showing what appears to be a 75mm M3 GMC in British service. I was under the impression that these were used only in North Africa and Italy, but this footage was made in Denmark in May 1945.

cbo

#2: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
Didn't british armoured car regiments have them?

#3: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
- Jared
Didn't british armoured car regiments have them?

I had a look at Peter Browns articles on British Army armoured cars in NW Europe and apparently, there were a few 75mm M3 GMC with 21. AG in June 1944 and even fewer in December 1944. And even in June 1944, they were considered unfit for use. Still, at least one apparently made it all through the war Smile

cbo

#4: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 pm
    ----
I think that is a T48 halftrack. We made about 900 for the British, and they accepted about 260 I think . Rest were given to Russia and turned back into M3's.

#5: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:14 pm
    ----
No, it's M3 GMC. Shield is different, typical for M3 GMC.

#6: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:36 pm
    ----
Here is a rear shot of a restored 75mm that mounts in the M3 GMC for reference:

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Donmor3/PTN%20Photos/75mmwmount.jpg?t=1195590959[/IMG]

EDIT: Here is the frontal view of the Restored 75mm:

Also a shot of the LST buildings M3 GMC :

M3 GMC w/ 75mm (Tank Destroyer)

Don

#7: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:16 pm
    ----
Russian SU-57 I believe is the right designation

#8: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:56 pm
    ----
Checking gun...

#9: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:34 am
    ----
- clausb
Came across a few seconds of footage showing what appears to be a 75mm M3 GMC in British service. I was under the impression that these were used only in North Africa and Italy, but this footage was made in Denmark in May 1945.

cbo

I believe that the two photos are quite different vehicles.....

Photo one:

This is not the same as the M3. Gun tube is longer and smaller than the 75mm.

Photo two:

Now this is the M3 GMC.

Don

#10: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 am
    ----
- Dontos
I believe that the two photos are quite different vehicles.....

Photo one:
This is not the same as the M3. Gun tube is longer and smaller than the 75mm.

Photo two:
Now this is the M3 GMC.

Could be Don, I have to take another look at the footage to see whether they are the same or different. Initially, I spotted only the first one and thought it was a T48 due to the barrel. The sequence with that vehicle is rather blurry (its private footage, handheld camera and 60 years old Smile ) and I think the barrel may look thinnner than it really was because of me fiddling with brightness and contrast, causing some of it to blend into the background. I'd tend to agree with Taranov though, the gun shield just don't look right for the T48, where the rear is sharply angled.

cbo

#11: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:45 pm
    ----
I don’t know about North West Europe, but the British did use the 75mm M3 GMC in Tunisia and Italy. Each squadron in the Armoured Car Regiments had a heavy troop equipped with some 75mm M3 GMC. The Canadians also received some in Italy which were used by the Royal Canadian Dragoons. Below is a photo of one of the RCD’s SP guns.

#12: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:36 am
    ----
M3 GMCs were used in the Heavy Troops of 11 Hussars and Royal Dragoons. The other Armoured Car Regts used AEC Mks III.

I have a book by an 11 Hussars officer who mentions the withdrawal of the M3s when the tubes wore out and no spares were available.

Regards

David

#13: Re: 75mm M3 GMC Author: clausb PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:59 am
    ----
- David_Clark
M3 GMCs were used in the Heavy Troops of 11 Hussars and Royal Dragoons. The other Armoured Car Regts used AEC Mks III.

I have a book by an 11 Hussars officer who mentions the withdrawal of the M3s when the tubes wore out and no spares were available.

Thanks David. The troops in the picture is allegedly Royal Dragoons in Denmark armound May 7th, so that would seem to fit.

cbo

-> AFV News Discussion Board