Think that barrel's hot enough?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
Twisted Evil

shock.military.com/Sho...SRC=dod.nl

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:42 am
    ----
Why didn't the rounds cook-off?

I remember a gunner on exercise using a 300 round belt in an M60. After about 100 continuous rounds they began cooking off and the gun ran away until the last round.

David

#3: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:43 pm
    ----
I thought most machine guns were designed to fire from an open bolt to prevent cook off? maybe that M60 had another problem that caused the bolt not to remain open after the trigger was released

#4: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:34 pm
    ----
M60E4 Mk43 and 850 rounds (8.5 belts, or 1'45") of continuous M60 luv.

www.metacafe.com/watch...chine_gun/

#5: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 pm
    ----
www.defencetalk.com/fo...ileoj7.jpg

"102,000 round torture test at the Yuma Proving Grounds, Yuma, Arizona"

Heckler & Koch MG43, prototype gun of the MG4.

Regards,

BUG

#6: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:21 pm
    ----
Bob

We were taught not to fire long bursts because of the possibility of rounds cooking off. In the event of the gun running away, the gunner was supposed to hold the belt to stop the feed.

The gunner who put 300 rounds through wanted to see if the warning was correct.

We were using old training M60s with blanks and blank adaptors but that shouldn't radically change the behaviour.

Regads

David

Last edited by David_Clark on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
- David_Clark
Bob

We were taught not to fire long bursts because of the possibility of rounds cooking off. In the event of the gun running away, the gunner was supposed to hold the belt to stop the feed.

David

...or twist and break it. Stops it fer sure.

#8: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:51 am
    ----
- David_Clark

We were using old training M60s with blanks and blank adaptors but that shouldn't radically change the behaviour.

Regads

David

A couple of years ago, while blank firing an M60 on a force on force engagement, I had a runaway after rockin' thru 100-200 rds.

With an additional 200-300 rds belted up, my asst gunner snapped the belt, and immediate problem was solved. (besides the obvious mechanical problem which was not solved til the next day.

Sustained fire can be generously termed as 'grazing fire' or 'suppressive fire'. Although the 'proper' technique is 10-20 round bursts. Keeps everything 'cool', besides being called 'ammo conservation'.

Just my 2 cents....
Don

#9: Re: Think that barrel's hot enough? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:57 am
    ----
I seem to remember a very 'famous' piece of video footage of an M48 perimeter of an NDP in Vietnam. As a gunner on a MA Deuce ( M2 .50 cal) is firing away, a crewman pours oil along the super heated barrel, to cool it down.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board