M114 Found In Canadian Woods
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:52 am
    ----
The M114 was found at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright in the early 90's and brought back to my unit. The little beast was only there for a few weeks then it was gone. The story behind it is that it was air dropped and was lost , until found during a foot patrol.

i87.photobucket.com/al...690011.jpg

Cheers Anthony

#2: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:16 am
    ----
Hi Anthony! Hi Folks!

That's a great line up! A M113, A Lynx, and a M114.

I knew the Lynx was a little taller than a M114, but I am surpised that the M114 is a little wider.

Thanks for the line up!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Lynx PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:31 pm
    ----
Good story, but totally untrue. I was there. This vehicle was stolen from a range yard in the US, brought to Canada by two Reserve officer collectors, confiscated by the authorities, given to the RCMP who didn't want it, given to the LdSH who gave it to a collector in Canada who had done some favours for the Regiment, and is now in the National War Museum in Ottawa, given after his death.

#4: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:46 pm
    ----
That was the story given to me by the Military Police, who gave me all the details when the little gem was off loaded back in CAlgary. He must have been coffee drunk ,yeah it does sound like a wish come true . It would be nice to go for a walk in the woods and find a little gem like this. Were did you get your info from.

#5: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Lynx PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
I was there. It's first hand.

#6: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:26 pm
    ----
I believe this M114 was part of this mess,

December 1997 A U.S. District Court judge had imposed prison sentences and restitution terms on five men involved in the theft of military vehicles from Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. Two of those sentenced to terms of imprisonment had been Army employees, one a former range maintenance officer. About 153 vehicles, once valued at $13 million and still conservatively estimated at the time of sentencing to be worth $1.5 million to $2.5 million, were taken from the post between September 1994 and June 1996. Among the stolen vehicles were M901 TOW missile launchers, a Sheridan tank, a howitzer, and other types of trucks. Although no missiles were taken and none of the equipment ended up in the hands of terrorists, the conspirators sold a TOW missile launcher to an individual in Oklahoma, and an undercover agent bought a M901 missile launcher and a jeep. However, the planned sale of a missile launcher and other equipment to Fox Studios for the movie Courage Under Fire fell through. Authorities eventually recovered many of the stolen vehicles. The charges and convictions against the men followed an intensive 13-month investigation by the Defense Criminal Investigation Service and the FBI, with help from Fort McCoy’s senior leadership.

Uh, don't mind me bringing in these flatbed tractor trailers, I'm just re-locating some stuff. Not that I'm doing anything suspicious. Rolling Eyes

After spending some time there, I can see how that happened.

Joe D

#7: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Lynx PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:48 pm
    ----
Nope. Know the story on that as well, but not related. Seperate crime.

#8: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:27 pm
    ----
Didn't know that, Thought it was an isolated incident.

Is there a big market in Canada for stolen AFV's ??? Wink

Joe D

#9: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: Lynx PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:46 pm
    ----
Fort McCoy is in the US, not a Canadian crime. There is very little market in Canada for collector armour, especially tracked. Canadian collectors aren't willing to pay what American collectors pay (actually, for much of anything) Americans will snap up anything for the going rate, Canadian collectors will not. We can import whatever the Americans can from overseas, and actually a little easier, so thats not the problem.

#10: Re: M114 Found In Canadian Woods Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 pm
    ----
Someone just posted some M114 pictures from 1964 over on the G503.
Check these out.
www.g503.com/forums/vi...241#618241

Hopefully they can be posted here, until then...enjoy.

-> AFV News Discussion Board