M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:18 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I was wondering if anyone lives near a M-60 MBT that has a M-9 dozer kit mounted on it?

I am looking for some detailed pictures of the hydraulic fluid tank that is mounted on the left rear fender and how the pipes are rounted at the front of the hull and into the dozer system there.

I am trying to put together some details for a model project. Thanks to Joe D, I have lot of pictures of the M-728 and that dozer system. The kit for the M-60 MBT has a couple of differences from the M-728.

Thanks Folks!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#2: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

I was wondering if anyone lives near a M-60 MBT that has a M-9 dozer kit mounted on it?

I am looking for some detailed pictures of the hydraulic fluid tank that is mounted on the left rear fender and how the pipes are rounted at the front of the hull and into the dozer system there.

I am trying to put together some details for a model project. Thanks to Joe D, I have lot of pictures of the M-728 and that dozer system. The kit for the M-60 MBT has a couple of differences from the M-728.

Thanks Folks!
Sgt, Scouts out!

Nothing here with M60 / Dozer archives/internet search might turn up something...

I have seen Vietnam pics, surfing around of M48 Dozer, perhaps Europe USAREUR site...

Don

#3: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:20 pm
    ----
Hi Roy:

Have you seen:

www.tpub.com/content/o.../index.htm

I have 28 pics of the one in Throop PA, focusing on the 'dozer system. I'll email them to you.

KL

#4: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:33 am
    ----
Roy,

Glad Kurt could help you out. I don't have much on photo's on the system, just some from an A0 in Korea but not any from the underside, and they're not digital. I really need to get a scanner. Not many around on display with the M9 kit. Besides the one in Throop, these are few I know of.

M60A3 Newkirk OK
M60A3 Overbrook KS
M60A3 Green River WY, blade removed, but everything else there
M60A3 Hannibal NY
M60 Lexington NE

None have been close enough for me to document yet.

Tanx Heaven site had a pretty good selection of Air Force EOD M60A3 blade tanks but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Joe D

#5: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:08 pm
    ----
Throop is also bladeless.

KL

#6: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: oldertop PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:20 pm
    ----
For those of you who have no idea where or how the PTO unit is mounted on the CD850 transmission (this is the M26,47,48,103, 53,54, LVTP5 and M60 transmission, which is IMHO one of the finest tracked vehicle trans ever designed)..anyway in the center rear of the transmissions case is a plug there is a machined surface ring which is drilled and taped , by removing this plug and inserting a short shaft (the machine surface is the mounting for what ever you are going to power) you will get the power to drive the dozer hyd pump, this also where the "ring plate " with four hyd pumps mount on it is installed to power the bulge pumps and ramp on the LVTP5. So now you know why you must cut a panel out in the transmission shroud.

#7: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: oldertop PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:23 pm
    ----
Anybody here ever drive a blade tank..why does it always seem a blade tank is faster????

#8: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:08 am
    ----
Hi Kurt! Hi Folks!

- Kurt_Laughlin
Hi Roy:

Have you seen:

www.tpub.com/content/o.../index.htm

I have 28 pics of the one in Throop PA, focusing on the 'dozer system. I'll email them to you.

KL

Super thanks for that link and the photos you sent!

I found them first and wasn't sure what those e-mails were. I almost deleted them as junk mail before I noticed the title of the first one!

The photos are a big help and the TM was super! Now I understand how the plumping runs around under the hull!

Super thanks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

P.S. I signed up for the 10 downloads per month rate. I think I will be spending way to much time surfing around that site!

#9: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 am
    ----
Hi OlderTop! Hi Folks!

- oldertop
Anybody here ever drive a blade tank..why does it always seem a blade tank is faster????

Driver doesn't have a close up view of the ground and tends to drive faster?

No idea sense I have never driven one.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:08 pm
    ----
Yes,

That CD850 was quite a transmission for it's time, but the M1 X1100 is incredibly reliable. Only had one go bad on me from 1991 to 2002, and it was in the electric solenoid valve body, not mechanical. Had the driver turn off CB-6 on the HNB and it defaulted to Drive and continued to move until we got to the UMCP.

About blade tanks going faster, I heard from some guys it was because with the installation of the kit they upped the governer a bit on some, but I couldn't say for sure. I do know Blade crews liked the added weight on the front because it helped during gunnery, reducing the bounce during the offensive engagements, especially if you had an A1 AOS instead of a RISE/Passive or A3 with the better STAB.

Roy,
The plumbing was a weakness to the M9 Kit, the idea was to protect it from small arms fire but now it was subject to damage when digging or going across rocky terrain. Many blade tanks had the system inactivated and the blade removed, leaving only the push beams.

Joe D

#11: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:33 pm
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Roy,
The plumbing was a weakness to the M9 Kit, the idea was to protect it from small arms fire but now it was subject to damage when digging or going across rocky terrain. Many blade tanks had the system inactivated and the blade removed, leaving only the push beams.
Joe D

I ran acrossed a photo of an IDF dozer and noticed that they ran the pumbing up and over the top of the hull. That sounds like a much better way to do it. Just use heavy or armored pipe for the small arms problem. I was very surpised to learn that on the M-728, the Army cut holes in the front under slope of the hull and ran the pipes up inside the hull.

Does any know if the dozer kit that was developed for the M-1 Abrams (but never placed into prodcution) was electric like the mine plows or hydraulic like the M-9 system?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:52 pm
    ----
- oldertop
For those of you who have no idea where or how the PTO unit is mounted on the CD850 transmission (this is the M26,47,48,103, 53,54, LVTP5 and M60 transmission, which is IMHO one of the finest tracked vehicle trans ever designed)..anyway in the center rear of the transmissions case is a plug there is a machined surface ring which is drilled and taped , by removing this plug and inserting a short shaft (the machine surface is the mounting for what ever you are going to power) you will get the power to drive the dozer hyd pump, this also where the "ring plate " with four hyd pumps mount on it is installed to power the bulge pumps and ramp on the LVTP5. So now you know why you must cut a panel out in the transmission shroud.

This sounds like the same hole the drive shaft is in that connects the engine to the transmission. We had several break at Fort Irwin in the Winter.

#13: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:45 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Roy,
Joe D

I ran acrossed a photo of an IDF dozer and noticed that they ran the pumbing up and over the top of the hull. That sounds like a much better way to do it. Just use heavy or armored pipe for the small arms problem. I was very surpised to learn that on the M-728, the Army cut holes in the front under slope of the hull and ran the pipes up inside the hull.

Does any know if the dozer kit that was developed for the M-1 Abrams (but never placed into prodcution) was electric like the mine plows or hydraulic like the M-9 system?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

My plow and all in service are electric (or manual). No hydraulics headaches, just the possibility of excessive wear & tear on the suspension due to the additional 4 tons of the plow.

oppps dozer?...no clue

Don

#14: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 am
    ----
Dozer Tanks,.....Heres a little thing I 're-edited' to spotlight an M48 Dozer Tank.

Neat detail for the model builder,....

And what a cool slide.....

Berlin 1961 Video re-edited...

enjoy....
Don

#15: Re: M-9 Bulldozer kit for the M-60 series tanks Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 am
    ----
The Marines use a British plow on their Abrams tanks. I do not know whether it is electric or hydraulic.

-> AFV News Discussion Board