Memory & Vid Card
-> Hardware

#1: Memory & Vid Card Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:03 am
    ----
Well, thought I hit paydirt gents. My dad's computer whent Tango Uniform on him and he decided to scrap it, after dissecting some cool goodies for me of course. So in the mail came a used Video Card (better than the non-existent one I have now!), and a 2gig RAM. Now, the normal bystander may be thinking, that is GREAT! Until I went to install the RAM. Well, the RAM doesn't fit. Best way to describe it is in the gap between the two "pin" sets - mine is dead center - the new RAM was offset and wouldn't fit the socket. So then, after force feeding didn't work - I went to install the vid card and count my blessings. Until I found out, it too would not fit. Apparently an AGP model (I require a PCI Express).

So anyhow - sad to say I get no goodies afterall - with the exception of a CD R/RW drive to accompany the one DVD-R/RW drive I already had. Quicker CD burning and a dedicated drive for those game disks!

#2: Re: Memory & Vid Card Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 pm
    ----
You probably have 2 completely different pc's ...his being older. If your pc is fairly new you probably need the newer DDR2 ram. Your Pa's ram is likely ddr400 186 pin or something if its AMD i'd know a little more about it. But yeah... that sucks.

Suggestion:
EBAY! you may get enough money for that old ram and card to help purchase a new video card. You can pick up a decent PCI express gpu for around 150 bucks these days. I use 2 geforce 7600 gt's and they are great! I Ebay off old parts all the time and use the money to purchase new parts. Its also a good way for the wife not to get involved...tee hee.... So maybe this is still a good thing.

-> Hardware