Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:57 pm
    ----
Look at Tank #2

#2: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:08 pm
    ----
Nah ... it just looks like a flat tire to me! Laughing

#3: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:10 am
    ----
That's what happens when you forget to check the air in the road wheels.

#4: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:18 am
    ----
Pimp my ride goes Fort Knox... Smile

#5: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
Could be a heck of a pothole.

#6: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:14 pm
    ----
Looks to me like more than a torsion bar.

Never seen that much of a 'squat' before. Unless total failure of both rotary shocks, and several torsion bars along with the mine plow being mounted.

Interesting.

Don

#7: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
He looks mighty close the vehicle in front of him, is it possible he's rear-ended him and the gun tube has gone under the turret rear of the vehicle in front, wedging his front down and/or causing multiple suspension failures (aided by what I hope was heavy braking)?

#8: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:45 pm
    ----
no, looks like the second tank has the main gun over the back deck and getting ready to be hooked up to a tow bar by the first tank.

#9: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:49 pm
    ----
I have trashed power packs, final drives, a couple of torsion bars, but that appears to have been the work of an expert. Must be a good story around it.

#10: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:37 pm
    ----
When I was at Sierra Army Depot most of the OIF "Thunder Run" tanks were there and there were a few messed up ones. An anti-tank mine could take out a couple of torsion bars. I agree that it is being towed.

#11: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:58 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Tow Bar? Maybe there is a bar that is hooked up, the brakes on the number 2 tank are locked, and the number 1 tank backed up a little to much which could push down on the front of the number 2 vehicle?

Interesting photo. Mark, where did you find it?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Abrams W/Torsion Bar Problem? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:47 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Tow Bar? Maybe there is a bar that is hooked up, the brakes on the number 2 tank are locked, and the number 1 tank backed up a little to much which could push down on the front of the number 2 vehicle?

Interesting photo. Mark, where did you find it?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

military.discovery.com...eshow.html

-> AFV News Discussion Board