Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:15 pm
    ----
The following wrecks and relics were seen today;

Soesterberg, Army storage depot
3 x M113 C&V, all former 103 Recce Battalion
1 x YPR-765 (former military police)
1 x YPR-765PRCO
8 x PRTL (SPAAG)
around 25 x 40L70 AA guns
After that we were send away, it was not allowed to take pictures of the vehicles because there were also vehicles which were damaged / destroyed in Afghanistan between the ''normal'' vehicles. So to avoid problems we went away.

Amersfoort, Bernhard barracks
One ''new'' Leopard 1V in storage for the museum
KU-93-68 with s/n 12370

Regards

#2: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm
    ----
Hi Lesley,

Didn't know there was an Army facility as Soesterberg, just the Air Force Base, which I visited when I went to Amersfoort a couple of years ago. (Google Earth sure obscures those facilities with a patchwork quilt!). I expect to be back in the area sometime after August next year when I have a new business partner for your country...I'd really like to meet you. I have a friend with the unit based at Amersfoort who got me in last time (you remember the story, got in the latest Leopard, but no pics), he's a fan of armor and models a lot, nice guy....maybe we can all get together....

Cheers!
D.

#3: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:03 am
    ----
Soesterberg used to be an Eagle Nest. 32nd TFS was based there one of the early F-15 units. When I was at Langley AFB we helped train their maintenance crews. Were there any forgotten Eagles sitting off to the side?

#4: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 am
    ----
- bsmart
Soesterberg used to be an Eagle Nest. 32nd TFS was based there one of the early F-15 units. When I was at Langley AFB we helped train their maintenance crews. Were there any forgotten Eagles sitting off to the side?

You know, I think there was, but not sure. I didn't take many pics at the AF museum because I saved most of my mem card for the cavalriemuseum. There were a number of U.S.A.F. birds on display outside the building, but modern jets are not really my thing. I get excited when there are propellers attached. Wink

#5: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Hello Bob,
There is one F-15A (74-0083) at the NLD air force museum, but it is not an original 32 FS one. IIRC it was the F-15 that was used together with an F-105 for battle damage training.

Also in the museum is a F-86F (former Portuguese AF), F-100D (former French AF), F-102A (former Greek AF). If they already have an F-4 I don't know. They have a F-4D (32nd had only F-4Es) in storage. All aircraft are painted in the colours of the 32nd.

Regards,
lesley

#6: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:03 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Hi Lesley,

Didn't know there was an Army facility as Soesterberg, just the Air Force Base, which I visited when I went to Amersfoort a couple of years ago. (Google Earth sure obscures those facilities with a patchwork quilt!). I expect to be back in the area sometime after August next year when I have a new business partner for your country...I'd really like to meet you. I have a friend with the unit based at Amersfoort who got me in last time (you remember the story, got in the latest Leopard, but no pics), he's a fan of armor and models a lot, nice guy....maybe we can all get together....

Cheers!
D.

Hello Doug,
Just behind the air force museum is a training area which is mainly in use by the tankschool, armoured infantry school and the helicopters of nearby Soesterberg.

Also, along the road named ''Zeisterspoor'' are several barracks such as the Dumoulin barracks, Ketting Olivier barracks (Technical Troops museum) and the so-called Domeinen.

About meeting, after the summer we are going to work up for a state paid group holiday in the sandbox but it would be very nice to meet you.

Regards

#7: Re: Soesterberg and Amersfoort (NLD) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 pm
    ----
Actually 74-0083 is a historic Eagle in it's own right. It is 'Peninsula Patriot' The 'first F-15 delivered to 1TFW' at Langley

Actually 3 birds were delivered that day and it was by sheer chance that 0083 was the one selected to be the publicity bird. I'm not surprised that was lost in the system eventually. At that time there was a strong aversion to planes having names. There was only one other officially named plane in the wing. That was 75-0023 in 27 TFS (Our Gold Section) and that was a fluke. Someone looking at old Squadron records found an official order from back in WWII 'That aircraft number 023 in the 27 Fighter Squadron will henceforth be designated Maloneys Pony'. I don't remember the entire story, it was in the base newspaper at the time. Someone realized that there was currently a 0023 assigned to the squadron and used that old order as justification to name the plane.

-> AFV News Discussion Board