Vid Card Woes - Continued!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:29 pm
    ----
Picked up an ATI Radeon HD2400PRO - 512MB Vid Card. PCI Express. The one I had from my dad was an AGP that didn't fit. Went to pop this baby in and BAM - won't fit either?? Now I am totally confused.

Here are some pics to rack the brain with (sorry for the bluriness!):

First pic shows the AGP and the PCI-E Cards I have tried installing In the background is my modem card (not used) that fits the slot perfectly.

Second pic shows my modem card that actually fits the same slot. Very different pinset indeed.

Third pic shows the slot in the CPU I need to occupy.

Machine is a Dell Dimension E310. My obvious question is whether there is a PCI slot and a PCI-E slot (if so, anyone recommend a decent PCI card??).

#2: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:08 pm
    ----
Hiya Hunt,

I've had a look at the REVIEWS for your system and I'm not sure there's an upgrade option for a separate vid card.

I may be wrong (it's very possible) but, looking at photo's of the inside of your case, it seems like there's only a single PCI slot for an expansion card like your modem card not a graphics card.

It appears to be totally reliant on the onboard intel graphics from the mobo.

Could you post a pic of your mobo so I can make sure as the photo's I found on the web are very small.

All I need to see are the slots on your mobo toward the back of the case.
If there's only one, you're a victim of Dell.

I was once, then I realised that building these suckers is not that much harder than re-wiring a plug and started building my own. I'd urge anyone buying a Dell to do the same. For similar money you can build a machine with much better gaming performance.

#3: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 pm
    ----
Fortunately, I have two slots on the CPU. Your picture is identical to my board with that exception. The Modem card can be removed - I have a separate networking slot further up the back of the case.

Dell had an older ATI for the E310 - not a big fan of the one offered and want to get something decent on my own - just can't figure out which card fits! Mr. Green

#4: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:24 pm
    ----
Looks like both of those are PCI slots Hunt. PCI & PCI-E are different slots. I imagine you might still be able to get a PCI video card somewhere but think they are pretty rare at this point.

Willing to bet I still have an old PCI video card laying around, but not sure if it would do ya much good as I'm sure it's pretty old and probably something like 56mb of memory max.

#5: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
Well I guess there are still plenty around. Here's some to look at.

www.newegg.com/Product...2&name=PCI

#6: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:59 pm
    ----
Interesting. Hunt it does appear your option are a bit limited with that motherboard, Shades and Fr8ycat are right. That's a nice link to newegg (always excellent prices and FAST delivery, very happy with them myself) and particularly, if you plan on keeping that system for a while, that Diamond X1550PRO with 256MB and GDDR2 RAM for $89 might be a fine choice if it's in your price range. Although it's a different card and slot type, I have a PCIe-x16 ATI 1650PRO with 512MB and am very, very happy with ATI after using NVidia for a while (although to each their own and NVidia high-end GTX8800 cards in the PCIe x16 spectrum are the ones to beat right now).

Chipset, amount of memory, and RAM type are the critical things. For ATI, the 1000-series chipset (1550, etc) are newer chipsets than the 9000-series. 256MB of RAM is far more desireable for flight simming, and DDR2 RAM is going to have a much faster spped than DDR. The NVidia alterniatives are based on the GeFORCE 5200 and 5500 series which, I think, may be a bit longer in the tooth than the ATI 1000 series.

The main consideration is, this card won't be what you'd want to carry over to a new PC when you eventually move up, since at that point you'll get PCIe-x16 and can use the faster slot and transfer speeds so you wouldn't want to. So you're factoring in how much you want to spend on a card that has a life only as long as your current computer....which only you can say. I spent about $180 for my card back when I bought it, but it was transferred over to my new computer when I built it a while back, so it amortizes out about the same.

Power supply can also be a factor. The specs I found on your system (HERE)show a 230W power supply, and a healthy vid card might be a stress. Maybe the newegg specs will show power consumption too, I haven't looked that far.

BUT.....the review from a guy on the page below (6th one down) says he has a Dell Dimension E310, same as yours, and he seems happy....read on:

www.newegg.com/Product...amp;Page=3

#7: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:51 pm
    ----
Just going on from what Stoop was saying;
If you do start thinking of a new system, you should only be thinking in terms "PCI-e" graphics (see below). That means a PCI-e graphic card and a PCI-e compatable motherboard.

"PCI" is reached its limit a few years ago and is pretty much dead;
"AGP" has now reached the limit of what can be achieved with it and is dying;
Only "PCI-e" still has scope for more development and only PCI-e will be able to cope with newer games as they come up - unless something else comes out in the mean time, but I haven't heard of anything in the pipeline.

That doesn't mean you should fork out a fortune if you're happy with the machine you have. But, if you're trying to upgrade it, I'm guessing you're not. If you start looking at new kit, there's lots of members here who can offer you excellent advice on how best to proceed. Either buying a pre-build or building your own.

#8: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:28 pm
    ----
The computer I have is 2 years old - a Xmas gift infact. I would like to keep it for the time being. Just picked up 2GB RAM for it too. Problem is it came with the Intel Video chipset - which means no memory really. Just looking for a card to enhance FS9 and CFS3 type applications seeing as how that is really all I use it for these days. Although a newer system in the future would be great, I am happy with the one I have thus far. The ATI I picked up was right around $100. Plan on returning it this weekend.

As I typed, also went to New Egg and picked up a brand new shiny DIAMOND X1550PRO256PSB Radeon X1550 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card! Thanks for the assistance gents! Mr. Green

#9: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:49 pm
    ----
Just remember to turn off your on-board graphics, probably in the bios setting or maybe a jumper on the mobo, no point in driving two video 'cards'.
Smile

#10: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:52 pm
    ----
The ATI I just bought had good instructions on how to fix that monster! Thanks Kit Mr. Green

#11: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:04 pm
    ----
Well I guess that dang new thing better WORK then or we're in deep kimche!

Keep us posted Hunt! And glad you're back...now I know why we hadn't heard from ya lately!

#12: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:02 pm
    ----
I'll have to post an update Wink

#13: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:18 pm
    ----
Yeah - if this vid card doesn't work, I'm going back to my Atari 2600! Mr. Green

#14: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:10 pm
    ----
Well...I feel good about it......I mean I'm not sure how it could have been narrowed down even farther with the collective expertise and downright righteous brainpower here...and heck there's even a testimonial from a fellow E310 owner.

But if it comes to the Atari 2600, I might have my old Amiga 1000 shipped to you from California...

#15: Re: Vid Card Woes - Continued! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:24 am
    ----
Believe it or not, I believe I still have my old Amiga laying around in the Attic! It's amazing - I grew up on Pong and then into the 2600 when it came out -- My 4 yr old son has already mastered Halo 2 on Xbox! My how things have changed. Mr. Green

And I remember my first flight simming experience on an old Apple 2 with the all green display. Played every version of FS since!

-> Hardware