AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:14 pm
    ----
M103A2

M60A1

Cletracs

M551 Sheridan hull & turret

Ferret

Neil

#2: Re: AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:54 pm
    ----
Nice example of an IR M60A1,

This one was never upgraded and is still set up for the M73/219 Co-axial MG, evident by the barrel set screws still in place in the opening. Also has the rear interupter for the .50 cal along with the searchlight stowage bracket among other period items.

Doug,
This one should be pretty much just like the ones you used at Knox.

Like the M551 too, has the later TTS sight that 3-73 AR used before retiring them. Wonder if this old girl seen 4 wars, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, and Desert Storm?

Starting to think I need to visit this place.

Joe D

#3: Re: AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:04 pm
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

....the M551 too, has the later TTS sight that 3-73 AR used before retiring them.

3-73rd Amor wasn't the only ones to have the M551A1. The 3rd ACR Sheridans had that system before switching over to the M60A1s.

- Joe_D

Wonder if this old girl seen 4 wars, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, and Desert Storm?

She looks to good to have been a ex-11th ACR OpFor vehicle. My guess would would be ex-3-73 and with that, you could very well be right about being a veteran of four wars.

Nice to see the museum staff is doing a lot of work to fit her up.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
Roy,

I think you are refering to the upgrade from IR to passive sights with the M551A1. The upgrade I was mentioning was changing the passive sight to M60A3 Thermals, which didn't happen until after all M551's were retired from combat service except for the 82nd's. With that in mind, I need to correct myself. This one looks like she still uses the passive sight (M-44 ?). Why else have the searchlight, wouldn't be needed with a TTS.

Joe D

#5: Re: AAF Tank Museum #6 - M103A2, M60A1, Cletracs, M551, Ferret Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:33 pm
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Roy,
I think you are refering to the upgrade from IR to passive sights with the M551A1. The upgrade I was mentioning was changing the passive sight to M60A3 Thermals, which didn't happen until after all M551's were retired from combat service except for the 82nd's. With that in mind, I need to correct myself. This one looks like she still uses the passive sight (M-44 ?). Why else have the searchlight, wouldn't be needed with a TTS.
Joe D

No, I was thinking about the laser range finder system. I didn't know about the up grade to passive sights.

I remember here at Ft. Bliss (1978-1979) when a set of early M1 Abrams were being tested. There was a couple of M-113s being used to test a modified M1 sight mounted on a rack over the cargo hatch area. I was told that it could be a new sight for the M60 tanks if it worked out. I remember the crews on those M1s didn't like to answer questions about the sights other than to say that they were far better that anything in use at that time.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board