My son just enlisted
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: My son just enlisted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 pm
    ----
Yea this is off topic but

My 22 year old son just signed up for the Army. He ships out to basic on February 12. He goes to Ft Jackson for Basic and then to Ft Gordon GA for training in Satellite Communications (25S)

#2: Re: My son just enlisted Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:22 pm
    ----
Give him my best, Bob. He'll be doing basic at Jackson 37 years to the month after I did the same. Good time of year to be doing it, if you gotta' go there. Laughing

#3: Re: My son just enlisted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:08 am
    ----
This time of year that may be the bext place to do basic. But having come home from taking the physical and 'career councling' with a report date only 19 days away is a little bit of a shock. He was thinking about Blackhawk Helicopter maintenance but there were no reporting dates for that soon and there wasn't a good enlistment bonus. Funny thing was For Chinook maintenance they were only offering 6 year enlistments and $0 enlistment bonus. Sat com gave hime $40,000 for 4 years and he goes in as an E-3

#4: Re: My son just enlisted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:18 am
    ----
$40,000 Shocked ,

I knew they were paying good but didn't know it was that good.

Is that why he didn't follow in Dad's footsteps and go Air Force ? (I did the same)

I wish him all the best, GO ARMY Smile .

Joe D

#5: Re: My son just enlisted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:04 am
    ----
The Air Force is very picky on your physical condition now. You have to meet the standards for height and weight for them to even talk to you. He is a little heavy. He's been meeting with the recruiter to get ready for the basic PT test (pushups and 'steps')

I hope he can get his room cleaned up in time Rolling Eyes

#6: Re: My son just enlisted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 am
    ----
I guess some things stay constant. I did a 'stint' in Recruiting. Talk about a world in its own,....

Anyway, SAT communications MOS was a shortage, and had a healthy Bonus. Of course Infantry had one of the highest Cash bonus of the time (94-98), along with several MI jobs along with linguist had the max. Back then it was $12,000.

I'm sure he'll do okay. I wish him luck.

GEAUX ARMY...opps sorry. A little Louisiana spirit leaked out. Mr. Green

GO ARMY!!

#7: Re: My son just enlisted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:33 pm
    ----
Well Infantry is still a shortage field. In fact it is the only one you can enlist for 2 years in.

#8: Re: My son just enlisted Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:28 pm
    ----
I'm sure he'll get his room cleaned up in time Bob, If not that's what round files are for. Laughing I think he'll be a chip off the old block and do fine, Give him my best

Jeff "Piney" Lewis

#9: Re: My son just enlisted Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm
    ----
Wish your son all the best. My own son’s tour in Afghanistan is almost over. When he had joined the reserves he was only 17. He’s now 21. He has also signed his papers to transfer to the regular army for four years. After he gets home he has a month’s paid leave before he has to report to Petawawa, Ontario.

#10: Re: My son just enlisted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:25 pm
    ----
Well Tom is just about done Basic We will be going down to Ft Jackson for 'Parents Day' on May 1st and Graduation on May 2. Then we get to take him to his AIT base at Fort Gordon to arrive on May 3 (The map shows it as about a 1.5 hour drive)

On Parents day he get on post liberty for part of the day so I figure we will visit the Museum on Ft Jackson. I know Neil has done pretty good coverage but I'll make suer we're up to date Smile

Not sure how much time we'll spend at Ft Gordon this trip but we may do a quick scan of things. I suspect there will be another trip done there this summer

#11: Re: My son just enlisted Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:55 pm
    ----
Have a good time Bob. They've got a nice little museum down there. Be sure to check out the T30 and the flamethrower Sherman (which is at the NCO Academy).

Dont have a lot of good info on Fort Gordon - particularly need confirmation of that supposed M3 hull...

Neil

#12: Re: My son just enlisted Author: blair PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:09 am
    ----
I hope all the best for your son and the sons of all of us.

J.McGillivray,

Your son's service to our country makes me proud to be a Canadian.

#13: Re: My son just enlisted Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:18 pm
    ----
Hi Bob!

Best of luck to your son. Sounds like he picked a MOS that could pay big bucks as an outside job!

I went through 31D AIT (as a SSGT) at Gordon back in 1979 after a medical reclassification from the 11D scout field. Don't remember any armored vehicles around post at that time. The museum was mainly Signal Corps history/equipment.

The drive between Jackson and Gordon is not that bad. On my weekends I would drive over to Jackson and spend time with friend who was a D.I. at that time.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: My son just enlisted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 am
    ----
Good luck and Congrats to your son,

Roy said it all, that MOS has some very good civilian applications. Think though, If had become a Tanker he could've been your inside man to what's going on with the M1's and Strykers Laughing .

There's still a chance there's some armor around, I've noticed that in the last 10 years most posts have at least one souvenier from Desert Storm or the Range Control saves a hard target and makes a display of it.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board