Close to have an heart attack
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Close to have an heart attack Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 am
    ----
I received a mail today with some new Comet photos for my register. These were indeed wrecks from a target range and the person who sent me the photos added the link to the gallery showing these wrecks.

Looking at the gallery, I saw that on that fire range there were also Churchills, Shermans, at least one Cromwell and the wreck of a Sherman BARV :cry:, + Humber Pigs, M47 Pattons and other post war vehicles... There are only 2 Sherman BARVs preserved, one at REME Museum of Technology, in Arborfield, England and another one privately owned, also in UK. Anybody knows where these tanks are located? (most probably in UK) :

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/plainmilitary/

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/plainmilitary/RANGE%20WRECKS%202/

P-O

#2: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 am
    ----
I think these are all on Salisbury Plain, the Ministry of Defence owns around 150 square miles of which some 39 square miles is not generally open to the public. Large sections of the Plain are used for infantry and artillery training.

Links here, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...bury_Plain and www.army.mod.uk/ate/pu...splain.htm

I fear nothing much of interest is accessible to the general public, probably because of the unexploded ordnance.

#3: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:47 am
    ----
By the way, the privately owned Sherman BARV is usually located at the Hop Farm, in Kent, site of the War & Peace show each July.

#4: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:58 am
    ----
Anyway I mailed the Bovington Tank Museum to let them know that this rare BARV tank exists.. Maybe will they recover it but I doubt that it will be done..

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:59 pm
    ----
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tankman102001/3120553876/

Finally recovered !!

"Recent arrival to the Bovington museum... YES it's what remains of a Sherman BARV, a former range wreck... it's in a mess and missing it's engine, tracks etc! "

P-O

#6: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:24 am
    ----
And from the markings it looks like the one in your earlier photos! Maybe you can claim some credit for encouraging them!

#7: Re: Close to have an heart attack Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:48 pm
    ----
Yes Bob it's the same tank.

I sent an email to Bovington several months ago, to let them know that this BARV wreck was on a fire range, but I didn't believe that they would recover it.
Bovington also recovered at the same time from the same range a Firefly hull and an M-40 Gun Motor Carriage hull, both in bad condition :

A shame that a Cromwell/Centaur hull was apparently not recovered from the same range..

Kind regards,

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board