Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 am
    ----
Okay, since I didn't get any replies regarding my earlier post for M41 crewmen Sad , how about any Sheridan crew? I have a big project on that tank coming up later this year so please contact me via PM or email.

Thanks in advance!

#2: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:37 am
    ----
Have you tried tank net? I know there are some old tankers there - at least M48 crewmen. Maybe M41/M551 too.

#3: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:08 am
    ----
Chris,

Me for sure...M551 school prior to Vietnam, served with (and a couple of times on) them there, and was on test projects with them at the Armor Board afterwards...most notably for the Laser Rangefinder project in '72.

I got over to Irwin to document the final days of the VISMODS in '03 and have a nice photo archive of that, much of which is featured in the link below as well as the Vietnam stuff that you've probably already seen.

There's a excellent feature on the M551 over at the Eaglehorse site along with the M114 feature that Roy contributed to:

(Click the links in the right column, the M551 feature is 9 "chapter" long)

www.eaglehorse.org/4_f...ipment.htm

Best,
Doug

#4: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:58 am
    ----
Thanks Doug! PM inbound.

#5: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
Have you tried tank net? I know there are some old tankers there - at least M48 crewmen. Maybe M41/M551 too.

Not yet. I'll check there this evening.

#6: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:24 am
    ----
Chris,

For what it's worth I spent 2 years on VISMOD M551's at NTC when we still were using the T-72 Mock ups (1987-89).

Joe D

#7: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:03 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Chris,

For what it's worth I spent 2 years on VISMOD M551's at NTC when we still were using the T-72 Mock ups (1987-89).

Joe D

In July-Aug 1990, I went with 5th ID from Ft Polk ( aka Camp Swampy ). I met up with an old loader from Germany who was gunner on T 72 # 432 ( M551 Vismod ). I was gunning for him the whole rotation. Mr. Green Got him once vicinity of OP 1, south east of the Whales Gap.

I Hated that rotation...!!

Don

#8: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Tom_Willoughby PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 pm
    ----
I went through Sheridan School Fort Knox 1977 and drove one for 8 months with the 11th ACR in Fulda, until we went to M60A1s. A10 1st platoon Atrp 1/11th ACR. Not many pictures left. It was a long time ago.

Tom

#9: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: oldertop PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:47 pm
    ----
While not having served with any units equipped with it I did go to a frie-x at Fort Bragg in 78 and observed them fireing..man it scared the crap out me, any vehicle that the first three road wheels come off the ground when it fires was not safe IMHO, I my add the fact that I was all ready shaky from being the maint chief of a Marine SP unit at the time and them M107 175mm guns and seen a breech block blow out and travel 200 yards to the rear (they had fired it with the wooden packing rings in place) and one battery had fired two 8" HE rounds out of the Fort Bragg impact range area by 1,400 yards...thank god they sent me to be the maint chief of a nice safe tanks Bn. that year! Laughing

#10: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm
    ----
- oldertop
While not having served with any units equipped with it I did go to a frie-x at Fort Bragg in 78 and observed them fireing..man it scared the crap out me, any vehicle that the first three road wheels come off the ground when it fires was not safe IMHO...

You should experience it from the inside. Mr. Green

#11: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: Tom_Willoughby PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:43 pm
    ----
During Gunnery in Germany I was the driver. My hatch would not lock shut so every time the gun fired it would start to swing open and I had to swing it back closed. When I loaded at Fort Knox it was at night so the flash would blind me so I couldn't see how far the breech came back.

The transmission was also squirrely it needed high rpms to work. So if you slowed down to make a turn as people are inclined to do, it wouldn't turn. That lead to some close calls. Who steps on the gas to turn?

Tom

#12: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:08 pm
    ----
- Tom_Willoughby

The transmission was also squirrely it needed high rpms to work. So if you slowed down to make a turn as people are inclined to do, it wouldn't turn. That lead to some close calls. Who steps on the gas to turn?
Tom

Mr. Green A certain little armored vehicle that I have become quite familiar with...... 'Oldertops' favorite... Laughing
....THE M50A1 ONTOS.... (ducking for cover...) Cool

Don

#13: Re: Any former M551 Sheridan crewmen out there? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:12 pm
    ----
Thanks to everyone who has pm'ed me! It looks like I'll have a much easier time with the M551 book than the M41 book.

-> AFV News Discussion Board