Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:57 am
    ----
I took this pic at Tankland on Friday, but its out of order (inbetween pics of the M53 and the second M47 Patton), so I'm not 100% sure what it belongs to... I think it must belong to the M4A3 or M4A3E8 Sherman... I'm pretty certain it didnt belong to the 105, since it had a grill that prevented easy access to the tow lugs...

Ya'll agree its a Sherman tow lug?

Neil

#2: Re: Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman? Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:53 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Ya'll agree its a Sherman tow lug?

Neil,

Certainly looks like it!

What's the number on it? 74560?

Regards,
Hanno

#3: Re: Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:47 am
    ----
Yes, I think so... Unfortunately I'm not completely sure whether its the M4A3(75) or the M4A3E8... Would the SN indicate?

Neil

#4: Re: Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:12 am
    ----
S/N 74650 should be an M4A3(105) but most of them were converted to M4A3(76) HVSS. Are there weld scars on the glacis from a repositioned travel lock or where the aiming post bracket was removed?

KL

#5: Re: Mystery tow lug with SN - Sherman? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 pm
    ----
Perhaps?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board