Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 pm
    ----
Would it be safe to say that the German AFV series by Walter Spielberger is the German AFV equivalent of Hunnicutt's books? I just got his "Special Panzer Varients" and I really liked it. He has many other volumes in this series. I have many of his earlier works such as "Sturmartillerie" which has the hand drawn cover. This newer series appears to copy Hunnicutt in scope and detail.

#2: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 pm
    ----
Quick reply- more or less, yes.

Keep in mind that the "newer series" to which you refer are reprints of German language books dating back to the 70's originally published by Motor Book Verlag in several volumes, or Band. For instance the "new" Speilberger Tiger book draws most of it's info from the German language Band 7 from 1977.

The English versions aren't as good as the original German versions- the English Panzer III book is a dog in my opinion!- and the quality of info varies greatly volume to volume. The Stug, Panther and Heavy Jadgpanzer are the best English language books in my opinion but they are dated. Jentz and Doyles 3 books on the Tiger and "Germany's Panther Tank" are updated and better than the Speilberger originals.

For what it's worth!

Bruce

#3: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:11 pm
    ----
Bruce, I thank you kindly for all the info. This will help me decide what books to buy in order to expand my armor library.

#4: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: clausb PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 pm
    ----
I'd second what Bruce wrote. If you are to spend money on Spielbergers books, spend it on the newer ones (i.e. 1990ies). They would be (German titles)

- Sturmgechütz...
- Leichter Jagdpanzer
- Schwere Jagdpanzer
- Beutepanzer.... (lots of stuff on various motorvehicles used by the Germans)
- Panzerkampfwagen 35t and 38t.. (includes a lot on Czech motorvehicles in general. There is another book by Kliment? on this vehicle, might be better)
- Begleitwagen Panzerkampfwagen IV (a completely updated book on the Panzer IV. Format more like Jentz' books. Probably still THE book on the Panzer IV. Do not confuse with the old Panzer IV book!)

Finally, it is true that Jentz' book on the Panther is more recent and has some new information correcting Spielbergers book. However, if you are really into the Panther, Spielbergers book has a lot of additional information not found in Jent'z book, including some technical information and drawings. I had both for about the same time and I find myself looking in he Spielberger book a lot more than in the Jentz book - in fact, it is falling apart, so when I get some money, I'll probably treat myself to a new one Smile

cbo

#5: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:23 pm
    ----
"This will help me decide what books to buy in order to expand my armor library. "

Hah- Buy them all!!! It's a disease but in truth you'll need the Panzer Tracts series, Achtung Panzer series, etc.

My turn to second Claus: Jentz and Doyle don't replace Speilberger ( though there are corrections/additions in Doyle). There is much good info in both and I too find they complement each other.

Cheers!
Bruce

#6: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 pm
    ----
I would add that if you're looking for info on the Pz 35 and 38, Czechoslovak Armored Fighting Vehicles 1918-1948 by Charles K. Kliment & Vladimir Francev is also very good.

www.amazon.com/Czechos...793&sr=8-1

I hope Spielberger's book on the 35 & 38 gets into English print. I like the Czech tanks for some reason - probably because I wrote a big grad school military analysis paper on a "what if" the Czechs had fought in 1938...

Neil

#7: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:24 pm
    ----
Panzer Tracts #18 on the Panzer 38t looks good. It deals with the tank and not other variants (AA, AT, etc). Those are dealt with in books on that type. I think they cover the 35t in Panzer Tracts #19 (Beutepanzer).

#8: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:54 pm
    ----
Don't forget Nuts & Bolts...

For the Panzer 35t see Nuts & Bolts #11: Panzerkampfwagen 35 (t) (Skoda LT vz. 35).

#9: Re: Walter Spielberger vs R. P. Hunnicutt Author: robertkru PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:39 pm
    ----
The best book about Sturmgeschuetz on the market will arrive in the next weeks in English. Take a look at:
www.historyfacts.biz/e...etzIII.htm
#1 is from style similar to Spielberger, but much more informations newly researched from original sources. Take a look at the reading examples and the german examples about details from interesting #2!
www.historyfacts.biz/d...zIII_2.htm
I know what I am talking because I have the German Version, which was published in autumn and many other books to compare. Razz

Regards from Vienna
Robert

-> AFV News Discussion Board