M-60 in Dixon, IL
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 am
    ----
A friend took these photos during a trip thru Illinois. I don't know if this tank has been featured here before. He said there was also a Cobra helicopter and a 105 howitzer.

#2: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 am
    ----
Dennis,
Do you have a name or address for this park? And did you happen to get the SN?

Neil

#3: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:40 am
    ----
Great condition! Looking at the new track leads me to think maybe it was overhauled before being put on display. What kind of ammo is that in the pix?

#4: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:23 am
    ----
Doing a google search for Superwash Dixon IL comes up with

666 Veterans Highway
Dixon IL 61021

Google Map reference (It doesn't zoom in enough to see if the Tank is across the street)
maps.google.com/maps?h...1&ct=image

There is also this website
www.honorourvets.org/
They do a pretty good job of telling the story of their tank.

#5: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm
    ----
I had to 'bring these over,....although not an M60 fan,....this is beautiful.....

...and this couldn't have been better expressed....

It sort of renews ones faith in the 'next generation'.....

JMHO

Don

#6: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:14 am
    ----
Hi,

I wish everybody took care of their displays like the town of Dixon does. Somebody even went through the trouble to try and duplicate the gunner's sight housing. BTW, looking at their web site this tank looks like it might have been a display somewhere else before they got it. Pretty unusual for one to be transported with the turret and gun positioned that way. The "Squirrel Cage" was welded to the gun mount to keep it from drooping.

Joe D

#7: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:10 pm
    ----
The tank rounds are 105mm HEP rounds (high explosive plastique), but they probably started life as inert dummy rounds that had the blue ends painted OD green.

#8: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:25 pm
    ----
Or at least we can only hope right! Wink

#9: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 pm
    ----
I'm going to be in Dixon sometime in April I believe. If you need me to gather some info or take more pics, let me know... Wink

#10: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:34 pm
    ----
Serial number, and if possible picture of it (Tow Lug, Back Deck) Mr. Green

Joe D

#11: Re: M-60 in Dixon, IL Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 pm
    ----
Will do....

-> AFV News Discussion Board