Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC etc.)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC e Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:38 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Okay, I gotta ask ... what is a King Cobra? Shocked

A nasty tasting malt liquor. Laughing

#17: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC etc.) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 pm
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D
Pierre,

Here's a shot of the flame thrower M4 at the Camp Shelby Museum in Mississippi. You tell me what version She is (Not a Sherman expert).
Larger Image>ComCentral

It could be a M4A1E9.
It's an A1 due to the casted rounded hull.
It's not a M4 with a composite hull because it has small hatchs. A composite would have large hatchs.
It's an E9 because there are duck bill entenders on both sides of the track block.
Sence it's main gun barrel is a flame thower tube, I am not sure, but it may have different designation from mine.

Working at becoming a junior Sherman expert.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#18: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC etc.) Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Pierre,

Here's a shot of the flame thrower M4 at the Camp Shelby Museum in Mississippi. You tell me what version She is (Not a Sherman expert).

Larger Image>ComCentral

Joe D

It's a M42B1E9. There's one at Ft. Leonard Wood in the Chemical Museum and one in the musuem in Huntsville, AL. I have pics of the Ft. Leonard Wood vehicle when it was at Ft. McClellan: M42B1E9

#19: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC e Author: grockwood PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:18 am
    ----
I have a question about the Jumbo at the Ft. Knox. Does anyone know it's display history or where it was before it came there? The reason I ask is during the late 1960's, I remember seeing and my Dad taking pictures of a Jumbo outside the muesum at Ft. Riley Ks. It has been long gone and I wondered if they are the same?

#20: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC e Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:56 am
    ----
- grockwood
I have a question about the Jumbo at the Ft. Knox. Does anyone know it's display history or where it was before it came there? The reason I ask is during the late 1960's, I remember seeing and my Dad taking pictures of a Jumbo outside the muesum at Ft. Riley Ks. It has been long gone and I wondered if they are the same?

I can find out the basic background on the Ft Knox 'Jumbo' As for the Ft Riley aspect,....No clue.

Don

#21: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC etc.) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 am
    ----
BTW, I just remembered there's at least one composite Sherman outside the US - in Australia.

Neil

#22: Re: Surviving rare WW2 Sherman variants (Calliope, M12 GMC etc.) Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
BTW, I just remembered there's at least one composite Sherman outside the US - in Australia.

Neil

Kevin Wheatcroft has a composite hull Sherman that came from Israel. It has a 105mm howitzer turret.

-> AFV News Discussion Board