Found in the Attic...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Found in the Attic... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 pm
    ----
Digging thru some old boxes, I discovered a long forgotten series of Books. Anyone remember these....

WAR DATA: (#4) M48/60 Patton MBT
WAR DATA: (#8) The Middle East Military Survey 1981
WAR DATA: (#10) Israel's NEW Merkava

Born In Battle Special: The Six Day War
Born In Battle Special: Israel's ARMOR in Action

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:23 pm
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

I remember them, I have a few of them myself.

Updated Feb 11, I have:
30 Years Israel's Defense Army, Born in Battle (BiB) Nu. 1
Israel's Air-Force, the Air War in the MID EAST, BiB Nu. 2
The Yom Kippur War, the BIGGEST WAR in the MID-EAST, BiB Nu.3
The edge of the sword: israel's ARMOR in action. BiB Nu.4. This one has a special section (2.5 pages) on the NEW Merkava with two pictures.
BiB Nov 1979 Magazine with Great Armour Battles: Oct 14, 73. This one came with a poster of the USS Eisenhower and some photos of the different aircarft of Carrier Air Wing 7.

I think I also have War Date Nu 2, which is the Centurion however I don't know were it is right now.

If I remember right, I picked up all of them at a Stars and Stripes book store in Germany.
It's like Gary the 'binder001' said below, those books where the best thing available at that time for pictures of IDF equipment.

Sgt, Scouts out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

#3: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:40 pm
    ----
I remember them too. I think I have both the Born in Battle Specials you list.

#4: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm
    ----
"Born In Battle" was a series published by David Eschel (spelling) out of Israel. In the 70's and 80's he was one of the few people to actively publish much on Israeli armor, units, etc. There was a magazine, several "Born In Battle Specials" and the "War Data series. In the pre-internet era this was an essential source of info on Israeli armor. The War Data books covered the M48/60, the Sherman, the Centurion, the Merkava (obviously the early ones) some planes and other such stuff. Photo reproduction wasn't too bad and many photos were seen there for the first time.

Gary

#5: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm
    ----
I remember when I was growing up in the 80s (sorry guys!) you could pick up Born in Battle in the local supermarket - I used to look for it every month.

Neil

#6: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:36 pm
    ----
I believe I picked up some in the Stars & Stripes Book Store in Wiesbaden in 1976/77. A friend gave me some of the others in later years.

A lot of my reference material in the mid-70's came from various out of date 'defence industry' magazines that my Dad brought home when cleaning out his office.

The Stars & Stripes book stores stocked an excellent selection of such books and magazines. I got my first Janes recognition guide in 1973 ( I believe ) I was proficient at vehicle ID at age 14 (1974) and aircraft ID by visual & sound at age 15-16 (1975-76).

Living in K-town (Kaiserslautern) at the time (1973-1976), was the approach & take off path for Ramstein AFB. High School classes were constantly disrupted with the F4's using afterburners, Talk about loud!! Shocked

Anyway.... Rolling Eyes

Don

#7: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 am
    ----
More tidbits of discovery.... Rolling Eyes

A copy of the original draft for M-1 Abrams gunnery, Not really sure where I got this, but its fun to flip thru what was and what was supposed to be.... Cool

My copy of M1A1 transition manual. I picked this up in 1988 in Germany, when my unit (A co 4/32 Ar, 3AD) went thru transition to M1A1's from IPM1's:

Hope I'm not boring ya'll with this Mr. Green ,....If I am, just let me know, and I won't post any of the other items I have recently found. Rolling Eyes

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:41 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I vote for Dontos to keep posting!

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:34 am
    ----
Hey Dontos,

That M1A1 book looks very familiar. If I remember right it uses a lot of the M1E1 illustrations in it. It's a very good source of detailed info. Even explains the fire control systems computng process along with some info not available in the TM's. Hang on to that one.

Joe D

#10: Re: Found in the Attic... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:48 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Hey Dontos,

That M1A1 book looks very familiar. If I remember right it uses a lot of the M1E1 illustrations in it. It's a very good source of detailed info. Even explains the fire control systems computng process along with some info not available in the TM's. Hang on to that one.

Joe D

Cool

Oh Yeah, nothing gets tossed,....

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board