Brake test
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Brake test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:05 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Playing with my scanner again,

These were taken in 2000. Not something you see everyday. Camp Carol ROK.

Larger Image>ComCentral
Larger Image>ComCentral
Larger Image>ComCentral
Larger Image>ComCentral

Joe D

#2: Re: Brake test Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:10 pm
    ----
Hi Joe..

We used to do that in Heard Motor Park at Ft. Knox at the Armor Board with various vehicles...down the long run by where the Fire Dept. keeps some aux vehicles these days, but where the box crane was housed.

Of course, the skid marks with an M60A1 were shorter, but it was fun pulling youself off of the seat by the T-bar literally standing on the brake pedal on the concrete pad (at something between 25-30mph).

Well, that was a big deal in an M60. Rolling Eyes

(no pictures were 'llowed, however...)

Laughing

#3: Re: Brake test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:27 pm
    ----
Did you guys bend any T-bars??? Laughing ,

Them '60 brakes needed a lot of ass to work, some guys just didn't have the strength/Height to even safely drive a tank so made made them loaders. M1 is way to easy, you can lock them up without trying. BTW longest skid we recorded was almost 16 meters (gotta make a contest out of everything). With the rubber marks still smoking for quite some time after pulling off.

Joe D

#4: Re: Brake test Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:47 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Did you guys bend any T-bars??? Laughing ,

Them '60 brakes needed a lot of ass to work, some guys just didn't have the strength/Height to even safely drive a tank so made made them loaders. M1 is way to easy, you can lock them up without trying. BTW longest skid we recorded was almost 16 meters (gotta make a contest out of everything). With the rubber marks still smoking for quite some time after pulling off.

Joe D

No, Joe....you just grab the bar inboard nearest the "stem", put both feet on the pedal and pull yourself into the pedal (this will lift your fanny right out of the seat). I suppose a really big guy might break the welds on the T-bar, but those guys didn't drive or do this manuver. If there was a good layer of dust and sand on the concrete, you could get a pretty lurid slide going with a spectacular nose-dive when the tracks finally bit in. Several rear road wheels would lift.

#5: Re: Brake test Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:47 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi everyone,

Playing with my scanner again,

These were taken in 2000. Not something you see everyday. Camp Carol ROK.

Joe D

Brake test?? No thats a skid test... Mr. Green

During Tank turn in at Hood in 92, we had to do speed test, 'veer' test, and then brake test to pass final inspection criteria.

On the range road, beside the 'III Corps Drif" (sp?) There was a marked off segment of the road, heading down hill. The tank had to hit 45mph (minimum), could not veer more than 2 meters (left or right), then had to stop within a max distance from top speed. ( Mine registered 53mph, veered WAAAY too much, then crushed the 'stop limit' marking cones... Cool )

For it's sins, I had to replace the transmission,.... That was after failing the bizarre 'neutral steer adjustment' attempt! Shocked Ever seen one of those?.... (Not to be done by the 'faint of heart') TALK ABOUT A FUN RIDE!!! An 'E' ticket at Disneyland could not come close to the unrestricted thrills of riding a tank in neutral steer 'runaway' Shocked

Don

#6: Re: Brake test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:49 am
    ----
Tell me about it.

Always amazing how stupid they get during turn in. They come up with all sorts of unheard of "Deadines" that you must fix before they accept them. But when you draw them it's a quicky minimum list. Worst is when they bring in contractors who's main purpose is to find as many BS faults that they can so your division maintenance funds go to the gaining unit (Usually National Gaurd State fund) who never fix most of them and spend it elswhere. Twenty+ dollars for a warning sticker, 150+ for a 1 inch tear in a cushion, etc,etc. Stuff you never would be allowed to order normally because it's a BS Gig. Forces soldiers to get real creative in fixing things, just like NTC Wink .

Joe D

#7: Re: Brake test Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:09 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Tell me about it.

Always amazing how stupid they get during turn in. They come up with all sorts of unheard of "Deadines" that you must fix before they accept them. But when you draw them it's a quicky minimum list. Worst is when they bring in contractors who's main purpose is to find as many BS faults that they can so your division maintenance funds go to the gaining unit (Usually National Gaurd State fund) who never fix most of them and spend it elswhere. Twenty+ dollars for a warning sticker, 150+ for a 1 inch tear in a cushion, etc,etc. Stuff you never would be allowed to order normally because it's a BS Gig. Forces soldiers to get real creative in fixing things, just like NTC Wink .

Joe D

Our turn-over was to Ft Carson,...My tank was first accepted in BN, (okay so it was HQ50...!) which was the only ZERO $ R.O.D. (Repair on Delvery) in all the 58 we turned over to the Carson 'cut throats'.... Mr. Green

I became a turret QA/QC inspector for the rest of the BN turn-over. The biggest 'deadline' faults, WERE stickers missing, seat cushions torn, and (get this) "Helmet hook missing above gunners position" Shocked

Remember.....they had IPM1's, which had the hook above the GPS.

THAT HOOK WAS OMITTED for a handle in the M1A1's.

They were using a partial '255-10', AND Most of their 'inspectors' were 19K's from the gaining unit, NOT turret mechanics... Shocked

45 days of hell, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad .....not to mention hand painting a tank with sand CARC paint,.....TWICE!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

(I believe I lost many a good brain cell during that time, ... Shocked )

Turns out I didn't need it anyway.... Mr. Green
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board