New Japanese tank prototype unveiled
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:16 pm
    ----
The TK-X / MBT-X, unveiled last week. This is a hot topic over on TankNet, I realized it hadnt been raised here...

Article in Japanese with lots of pictures

sankei.jp.msn.com/poli...007-n1.htm

English language video

link.brightcove.com/se...1415680607

English language article partially in jest, but with good pics

io9.com/356336/japanes...undam-real

I admit, I like the look of it Wink

Neil

#2: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:16 pm
    ----
Is it me or does it look like a Leo and a Chally "got together"? Shocked

I admit though, it is rather striking. Wink

#3: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm
    ----
A little bit of Leclerc too... And the turret is somewhat Merkava-esque...

Neil

#4: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

40 tons? Sounds like they are doing a good job of keeping the weight down.

I was thinking that is a Type 90 hull under a new turret, but after looking at all the links, I don't think so. The Type 90 driver's hatch is off set to one side. On this hull, the driver's hatch is centered on the hull.

Anyone catch the price? 6.something million per vehicle! Shocked At that price, an Abrams is cheap!

I agree with Neil, she has a nice look. Razz
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:31 pm
    ----
Everything Japanese is expensive, mostly due to the very small production rates and pecularities of their procurement system. Even licensed-produced US stuff built in Japan is usually twice as expensive if not more...

On TankNet someone pointed out it has only five road-wheels instead of the Type 90's six...

Neil

#6: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:39 pm
    ----
I also happen to think the Korean K2 is fairly neat looking, albeit a little more conventional and Leclerc-ish...

www.com-central.net/in...hlight=XK2

Neil

#7: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:00 pm
    ----
I got to looking at the tracks and I wonder if it has the capability to put a rubber pad on it, or is that just the design they used for the steel grousers?

#8: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 pm
    ----
Godzilla is toast!

#9: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:21 pm
    ----
Hi Tanklord! Hi Folks!

- Tanklord

I got to looking at the tracks and I wonder if it has the capability to put a rubber pad on it, or is that just the design they used for the steel grousers?

I don't know for sure, but I was thinking that is the same type used on the Type 90, only the rubber pads have been removed or left off.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#10: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:18 am
    ----
It seems awfully low to the ground. Does it have an adjustable suspension?

#11: Re: New Japanese tank prototype unveiled Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 am
    ----
Yes it does Wink

More pics...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board