Quad core? Pffft!
-> Hardware

#1: Quad core? Pffft! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
Intel is off planning the launch of its six-core Dunnington microprocessor, the last of the expected Core 2-based Xeon server chips before it switches over to the Nehalem microarchitecture capable of supporting eight or more cores. Dunnington, a Bangalore-designed successor to Harpertown, is still supposed to be relatively hush-hush but Intel has reportedly put three dual-core 45nm Penryn chips on a die the size of a postage stamp and sharing a 16MB L3 cache. Like other Penryns, Dunnington still uses a front-side bus.

Dunnington slips into Intel’s Caneland platform and so uses the Clarksboro chipset. The dingus, which Intel has previously described as pin-compatible with the dual-core/four-socket Tigerton quad, will be two- and four-socket, meaning mainframe-like machines with 24 cores.

Intel is reportedly seeing how quickly it can get the little beast out. It was due before the first of the Nehalem chips and could appear in Q3, maybe even Q2. Dunnington doesn’t require the record two billion transistors that it takes to make Intel’s next-generation 65nm quad-core Tukwila Itanium, but it’s reportedly close.

MORE HERE

#2: Re: Quad core? Pffft! Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:03 pm
    ----
what's the sense of all those cores when most proggies are written for single core, waste of resources = money if you ask me

#3: Re: Quad core? Pffft! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:32 pm
    ----
Aye, but more and more app's are being witten for multi-core now.

I use a music production app called "Reason" which only recognises single core. However my dual core still improves performance because tasks are shared between the two.

I know most other music production app's are taking advantage of multi-core processors now.
Games are lagging behind these days.

#4: Re: Quad core? Pffft! Author: jackinrichmondLocation: richmond, bc, canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:25 pm
    ----
anyone buying a quad core needs to download/install the microsoft hotfix.. without it, cfs3 will stutter and hop around. once installed though, the difference is truly outstanding. whether the program was written for quad/dual core or not, the machine performs better - you can increase all of your quality settings to maximum and you can play at a higher resolution & dpi.

amd phenom9600, geforce8800gts512, winxp, asrocknf6g, 2g800fsb

#5: Re: Quad core? Pffft! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm
    ----
- jackinrichmond
anyone buying a quad core needs to download/install the microsoft hotfix.. without it, cfs3 will stutter and hop around. once installed though, the difference is truly outstanding. whether the program was written for quad/dual core or not, the machine performs better - you can increase all of your quality settings to maximum and you can play at a higher resolution & dpi.

It's an interesting problem and essentially a scheduling 'contention' between the two cores - I had the same thing. At first I thought the Spit driver in the opening menu was just quaking in his boots knowing I'd gotten a new fast rig to terrorize the skies in my FW190.

I didn't know of the MS hotfix at the time but did find another way to patch the executable which is worth knowing about since this kind of problem can be found with other programs which may not have a patch or hotfix....here's thethread if interested...

com-central.net/index....m&f=14

P.S. still digging up the answer to the question about MAX_Devil's CFS3 texture tweaks.....

#6: Re: Quad core? Pffft! Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 pm
    ----
And on it goes..........

-> Hardware