Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:10 am
    ----
www.liveleak.com/view?...1174091000

#2: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm
    ----
Interesting, thanks. Any speculation if that was a representative result of a LOSAT strike? Or was the tank loaded with a large pile of explosives to simulate an ammo load like in the Javelin T-72 video?

#3: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:23 pm
    ----
I thought too that it was a rather large explosion. Neutral

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:24 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

It looks to me like most of the fire ball is on the outside of the hull where the missle hit. Could it possible be the remaining fuel in the missle is causing that fire ball?

If I remember the T72 hit, the hull had been packed and it did look more like a movie hit. These one doesn't look that way to me.

Thanks Mark! My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts out!

#5: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:41 am
    ----
Mark,

Are you showing the destruction of M60's just for me?????

Ouch.

I think the tank was loaded up with something. LOSAT is basically a inert projectile with a Very Very high speed, depending on Kinitic energy to destroy targets. If you look carefully the cupola blows upward off the turret from an internal explosion. I don't think the rocket motor would do that, even though the target range is very short for this missle. The penetrator would tend to slice through the turret, much like a APFSDS round. The hit was from the rear oblique from what I could tell, a much thinner armored area on the tank. That turret lifted off. I don't think the steel would maintain it's resistance long enough for that projectile to pull it off like that before tearing through.

As Roy says, "My 2 cents worth"

Joe D

#6: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: warddw PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 pm
    ----
The tank was unloaded...I worked on this pgm...

#7: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:57 am
    ----
- warddw

Welcome back I haven't seen you around here for a while.

#8: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 am
    ----

Wow,

That's quite awesome power to do that. I guess Roy's fireball deduction is dead on. IIRC the video clip said target range was about 900 meters so there'd be quite a bit of fuel left. My brother worked with the program sorta. Shame it is no more.

Joe D

#9: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: warddw PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:52 am
    ----
- bsmart
- warddw

Welcome back I haven't seen you around here for a while.

Thanks Mate...

Been a busy time! My ordnance collection has grown by leaps and bounds though - just never enough time to restore everything that I already have never mind the new stuff...

#10: Re: Video-LOSAT taking out an M60 at White Sands Author: warddw PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Wow,

That's quite awesome power to do that. I guess Roy's fireball deduction is dead on. IIRC the video clip said target range was about 900 meters so there'd be quite a bit of fuel left. My brother worked with the program sorta. Shame it is no more.

Joe D

I agree - the army keeps wanting to find a way to ignore physics and put a gallon in quart jar...they had it right the first time IMHO...

-> AFV News Discussion Board