Israeli Armor Museum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Israeli Armor Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm
    ----
Great set of photos. A little bit of everything!

www.davidpride.com/Isr...04_344.htm

#2: Re: Israeli Armor Museum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:11 pm
    ----
That is a great website.

It's amazing what the IDF did with the armor that was available!

#3: Re: Israeli Armor Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:34 pm
    ----
Indeed I remember the French army having tried to put together Sherman hulls and AMX-13 turrets. I'm not sure this is a specifically Israelian modification (EDIT : checking on wikipedia, the AMX Sherman was indeed used by Egypt) but rather a French one, at least originally (Sherman FL-10 in 1955 = Sherman with a French oscillating FL-10 turret).

The French army did other trials by putting together M24 Chaffee hulls and AMX-13 turrets, and AMX-13 hulls with M24 Chaffee turrets ("AMX-13 Chaffee" in 1960) http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1255

At least one "AMX-13 Chaffee" exists in France.

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: Israeli Armor Museum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:50 pm
    ----
I was making more of a comment to the updates to the "other" armored vehicles, not specifically to the AMX 13 turret on the M4 chassis, which I know isn't IDF. Laughing

"This was an Egyptian modification of the Sherman, but the conversion was designed and built in France. It mounted an AMX-13 FL-10 turret on a Sherman M4 hull. This tank was abandoned by the Egyptian Army in the northern Sinai near El-Arish during the Six Day War (1967)."

-> AFV News Discussion Board