Pictures from Parola Armor Museum Foundation
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Pictures from Parola Armor Museum Foundation Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:35 pm
    ----
It's taking me a while to get these up, been on the road a lot, so Xin loi, G.I.!

I must say a word of thanks to my colleagues Marko (who helped arrange this visit) and to Paula (who displayed the patience of Job in walking around in the cold for two and a half hours to indulge my passion in these things). It was getting late, cold and we were both hungry and had a way to drive yet, but she never whined. THANKS, PAULA!

A HUGE thanks must go to my host, Col. Erkki Kauppinen (ret.) who is the Chairman of the Board of the Foundation and my personal host for this private tour, which was conducted "after hours" and in rapidly failing light (which worked out well, as we had a warm setting sun from over the lake to illuminate the subjects on the hill). We only had 2.5 hours, but made the most of it. Col. Kauppinen is definitely the man to see as he is extremely knowledgable, gracious and has a wealth of experience (having served on more than a few tanks himself, the T55 family not least among them). I regret not having more time, but we made the most of it and due to a mild winter, I count myself lucky that everything was not covered in snow. I can't say enough about the hospitality this gentleman and I'm hugely indebted for the access and generosity extended. If you ever have a chance to visit...GO! A new indoor facility is under construction which will further preserve the collection.

Since as noted, we had not a lot of time, I was "racing the light" to get my shots as the sun set (over a beautiful lake that I didn't even notice until I was on the hilltop) and couldn't take "detail" pics or notes or pics of the information placards. I'll identify vehicles where I can, but some of you may have to do that for me. I want to get them up here before I leave for over two weeks for Korea and Taiwan...

In no particular order, as these are in progression as we go up the hill, left to right, more-or-less from Continuation War area to Winter War, if I have that right. Some of the vehicles on the lower hill served WAY past post war...like the Stugs, for example (in service until the mid-'60 or so), and the British examples.

Not having stood next to one before, I didn't appreciate how large a Comet really is...seems really small in pictures. It isn't.

The T-28...one of five thought to remain, I believe. I think "land battleship" when I see this...

To be continued on another page....

-> AFV News Discussion Board