1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:00 pm
    ----
A set of cut outs from an interesting photo,.....

Remains of M551....

M113 at ship side....

Regards
Don

#2: Re: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:08 pm
    ----
"Head Shoppe" and "Boom-Boom" remain unaccounted for.... Mr. Green

#3: Re: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:22 pm
    ----
Did ya'll have wooden 'trim vane' or like the one in the photo.

This sorta stuck out in my mind as being a bit out of place.

That version I've usually seen only on Vulcan mounted PC's not the slick G.....ah Shocked (sorry) PC's.... Laughing Mr. Green

Regards
Don

#4: Re: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:01 pm
    ----
- Dontos

That version I've usually seen only on Vulcan mounted PC's not the slick G.....ah Shocked (sorry) PC's.... Laughing Mr. Green

Regards
Don

The "flotation enhanced" trim vane appeared on several heavier variants. Roy's vehicle "boom-boom" had it, I believe.

Mine was missing it's trim vane gear altogether, as were many vehicles, a victim of jungle service usually, just like rubber skirts and such.

#5: Re: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:18 pm
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Regards
Don

That trim vane on the standard APC was common in Vietnam. That is until, like Doug's track, it was broken off while busting bush.

The Vulcan front floation pods (three of them) were installed by depots when the mine plated was added. It was required to offset the weight of the plate so the vehicle could still float. Any way, that was the plan.

As for the why that individual surf board is standing away for the hull like it is. That is due to someone not storing it correctly. The lock where it connects to the extention arm was not opened and locked into place after the board had be lowered. Possible to check the front area of the engine compartment.

Based on light guards (thick type with bolts at the base) and antenna guards (thin types, welded to the top of hull), my guess is that vehicle is an ex-M113A0, that has the engine upgraded to A1 status.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: 1972 RSVN, unreleased Photo.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:59 am
    ----
BTW,....By popular request, here is the entire photo,...

-> AFV News Discussion Board