Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 am
    ----
I was at the Washington Armor Club (modelers) meeting yesterday and mentioned the M5 Stuart wreck at the Patuxent Wildlife Research Refuge (which was formerly a Fort Meade target range) - when one of the guys there mentioned that there were also four British Crusader wrecks located there.

Accordingly, Steve Carter just provided the below pictures. Can anyone tell that these are Crusaders? Its close enough that I'm tempted to make a trip sometime soon...

I cant tell if these are the same or different ones. The second one looks to be upside down? Isnt that a Christie suspension arm in the foreground?

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:34 am
    ----
The two photos don't show the same tank hull, but the two are upside down. f you closely compare the 2 hulls, they are very similar but have some differences. I can't tell for sure if these are Crusaders or not..
(And there is a man on the right side of the 1st photo, quite well hidden..)

P-O

#3: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: fitzday PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm
    ----
I think those are the same hull, just different angles. If you look close the same busted up second roadwheel is apparent in each picture. And it looks like there are 5 torsion bars on each side. If I'm not mistaken, Crusaders had 5 didn't they? Anybody have any idea what Crusaders would be doing in MD?

#4: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm
    ----
Yep, the Crusader was the first British "Christie Cruiser" to have five roadwheels.

I'm not all that surprised there are/were Crusaders in Maryland, but a little surprised they were at Fort Meade rather than APG. I highly suspect they were Reverse Lend-Lease...

The Ordnance Museum already has one Crusader Mk III, and had a Crusader Mk IICS (close support variant) at one point... But I dont have any records for another 3 missing Crusaders... Its possible that Jarret didnt acquire these for the museum since he already had two and therefore they went straight to the ranges at Meade.

Neil

#5: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:01 pm
    ----
BTW, Bob, I wont be able to make it up for your tour this weekend as I have friends in town - but I think perhaps we should plan on a huntin' trip to Laurel sometime in the near future Wink

Neil

#6: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 am
    ----
[quote="fitzday"]I think those are the same hull, just different angles.

I agree with that.

And it looks like there are 5 torsion bars on each side. quote]

They are not torsion bars. Christie suspension used large springs between the inner and outer hulls.

#7: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 am
    ----
Joe DeMarco sent me these pictures yesterday - I think this fairly concretely answers the question...

He says there were five Crusaders at the research refuge, but warned that they warn you to stay on the trails & sign a waiver lest you step on some unexploded ordnance Surprised

Neil

#8: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm
    ----
SALVAGE!!!

#9: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm
    ----
Joe said he told Charles Lemmons with the Patton Museum about them some years ago. Joe thought there was enough to probably put together one Crusader. He also said that its possible they've already been moved by one of the "remediation teams."

Neil

#10: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: longo213 PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:52 am
    ----
I don't really like to open a two years old thread but anytime I'm listing thru Surviving Cruiser tank list I get really curious what happened to those five Crusaders. Any news from Patton museum about them?

#11: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 am
    ----
No Crusaders here. With the armor element moving, its very doubtful any effort has been or will be made.

Regards
Don

#12: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: longo213 PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 am
    ----
It would be really sad if they ended up in scrap...

#13: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
They will most likely continue to sit and decay... Removing them - for restoration or scrapping - would require some effort by someone...

Neil

#14: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:40 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Removing them - for restoration or scrapping - would require some effort by someone..

Who should do the effort?

I would be ready to come in the US and cut down some trees to remove them from there !!!

Pierre-Olivier

#15: Re: Crusader wrecks in Laurel MD (pics included) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm
    ----
You'd need lots of government approvals, money, equipment, etc. They're currently on old target ranges, with potentially unexploded ordnance. Needless to say they advise you stay on the trails - which are presumably clear of any UXO

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board