Black Screen
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Hardware

#16: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 pm
    ----
ok, well, keep your fingers crossed cause I think I figured it out. Long story short, basically my vid card is a factory overclocked version, and appearently they got carried away when overclocking it. Ntune was showing it really cranked up to about 780v. So I dropped it down to about 600 and it ran TW08 with no problems and no crashes. gonna test it on FSX later, then slowly start cranking it back up to see where the breaking point is. Once that's established I'll back it off a bit and monitor, if it starts crashing again it might be an indication my psu is weakening and starting to go, I think. that might explain why it worked before?

#17: Re: Black Screen Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:58 am
    ----
- Rixster

I think I figured it out. Long story short, basically my vid card is a factory overclocked version,

Getting a bit confused here...LOL

- Rixster

It's not the video card cause I've tried two different ones and they both did it.

You tried two vid cards earlier and had the same problem so it suggests that it isn't the overclocking of your current card that's causing the black screen.

#18: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:53 am
    ----
the first one was an overclocked version as well, must bee too high for my psu is all I can figure or like I said the psu itself may be starting to weaken and losing voltage, right now I've got it running at 650 and it seems to be working ok, will just have to see what happens.

#19: Re: Black Screen Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:50 pm
    ----
I have been fighting the same problem since my computer was rebuilt almost 2 years ago. It started the day I got it from the shop with the new parts. I have gone through and replaced the power supply with a bigger one, memory, also larger, faster CPU, switched video cards, and unplugged the sound card and let it run with the on board sound. Still getting the same problem. The only two things I haven't changed was the monitor and the motherboard. One thing that a friend of mine told me once, was he had a similar problem with a monitor. Mine is an old monitor, that frequently has a blurry section on it when first booting up. It is my next change, then if that isn't the problem, it has to be the Motherboard. I've tried everything else. I might add, it is a single core system. Good luck with yours.

#20: Re: Black Screen Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:12 pm
    ----
Hi Rixster: I notice that you are running an 8800GT vid card, if you are using Windows XP then do a DirectX update which you can get here www.microsoft.com/down...laylang=en DirectX 9.0C is updated a few times a year to keep up with new hardware etc (you will not get these updates through Windows Updates).. your video card which is meant to be run with Windows Vista and DX10 is known to have issues with DX9 in some instances.

Hope this helps

Hit

#21: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:49 pm
    ----
thanks for the link, tried it and it says I'm already updated to the latest version but I appreciate it anyway.

-> Hardware