Vulcan bomber to return to skies
-> Officer's Club

#1: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:07 am
    ----
A restored Vulcan bomber is expected to take to the skies on a test flight from RAF Cottesmore in Rutland despite an earlier false fire alert.

The Cold War bomber is due to fly the 30 miles (48km) to Bruntingthorpe airfield in Leicestershire at 1330 BST.

The aircraft had to make an emergency landing during a test on Monday following the false alarm.

Project Manager Andrew Edmondson said the fault on the aircraft was just one of a few teething problems.

He said: "There's people out there who've restored motor cars and everybody knows that once you've restored it, for the first six months, you get a few teething problems.

"We're getting the same thing and they're just bulbs that are blowing, a micro switch not quite working, so it's not very significant."

The test flight is in preparation for an application to the Civil Aviation Authority for a permit to fly during air shows this summer.

more HERE

#2: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 am
    ----
Air and Space Smithosonian reported (with a picture of it airborne) that it made a 20 minute test flight over Bruntingthorpe Airfield-Leicestershire last October. Wink

#3: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:01 pm
    ----
man it dont seem 5 minutes since i saw one of the last flights at cosford airshow, nice to see they had the brains to get one flying again...

#4: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 am
    ----
Just as an aside... I make deliveries to a retail park at the back end of Southend Airport, wasn't until recently i spied a Vulcan parked at the back of what looks like a private flying club there.

Usually pitch black when we deliver there, but with the sun coming up ever earlier there i was stood on the tail gate of the truck and spied it. Looks like a nice static rebuild and boy does it cast a shodow over the little Cessna's lol

I did actually get to see one do a display at Barton Aerodrome (nr Manchester) not long after the 1st Gulf War. Holy s***! What a sound when they turn there arse towards you and throttle up... Unbelievable!!

#5: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
There's one at EURO base R.A.F. Usworth, now Sunderland Airport.
Although decommissioned now, our C.O. got us on board it with a tour from the guys who look after it.
Think I remember them saying there were eight crew, but gawd knows where they put 'em all.
It's even a squeeze for the Pilots!

#6: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
Didn't they have a Vulcan at Elvington near York ???

#7: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
Not sure, think there was talk of one appearing for an exhibition.
Think it was a no-go in the end.

Sure you're not thinking of Leonard Nimoy?

#8: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 pm
    ----
There is a Vulcan at the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Omaha. There were occasionally Vulcans that would fly in to Offuitt AFB, SAC Headquarters and spend a little time here when they were still active in the RAF.

#9: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:30 pm
    ----
- Shades
Sure you're not thinking of Leonard Nimoy?

LOL, I wonder if a Vulcan death grip works on a skwirrel !!!

#10: Re: Vulcan bomber to return to skies Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm
    ----
Hmmm we should ask Leonard Bushspocker.
*whistles innocently*

-> Officer's Club