M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned Author: geazergoaler PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:22 am
    ----
I can't resist orphaned tank fotos on E Bay, recently picked up a few that the members may enjoy. I know nothing about the units or locations beyond what can be seen on the image. Seen here is an M60A3 that shows a pintle mounted M60 mg at the loaders positon and an odd barrel, IE no flash surpressor at the TC cupola. Is this Korea or can anyone shed some light on the image??

Bob

#2: Re: M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:45 am
    ----
8th Army (2ID in Korea's higher HQ) were the ones that had the loader's M60D. I believe they were retained from the M48A5 tanks 2AD used to be equipped with.

I remember when we got the ERA armor tech manuals, there was a specific portion where 8th Army tanks had to make an adjustment for the armor mounts to work around the machine gun mount.

#3: Re: M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 am
    ----
Tank is in creek bed, notice bridge in background... Korea for sure

Went in 1991-92. IPM-1s were 'new' to Korea, having been shipped from 'POMCUS' stock in Germany.

perhaps mid to late -80's
Don

#4: Re: M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 am
    ----
Don,

That looks the evil bridge which has taken a few inattentive TC's .50's out when passing under. Should be pretty close to the "Chili Bowl" Alpha Alpha. Spent many, many days (and nights) in that creek bed. Definately a Korea tank between 1985-91, only time A3's were there.

Bob,

About the .50, Flash suppressor has been removed. Most likely to install the blank firing adapter (BFA), IIRC the M20. Was a little more work than the M2 to install. The suppressor was held in place with a roll pin that had to be knocked out before it would unscrew. The threads on the barrel were very fine and easy to damage. You had to then screw on the restrictor and then mount the BFA. Also had to install an interupter/ discriminater in the feed tray. Some guys (me included) would also take the card board packing from ammo cans the blanks came in and line the tray in the cupola so they would feed smoother into the chute, since the blanks were quite a bit shorter than the live and tended to kink up. Old memories. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Joe D

#5: Re: M60A3 Foto - What Can Be Learned Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
What's up with the searchlight mounts? Or is that for a subcaliber firing device?

-> AFV News Discussion Board