OT-Something you don't see every day...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OT-Something you don't see every day... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm
    ----
105mm Arty in direct fire mode. HE vs. Taliban in Afghanistan.

CAUTION: Military personnel, being military personnel, make a couple of outbursts of what has been termed "soldier talk". Uncensored.

shock.military.com/Sho...885&page=1

#2: Re: OT-Something you don't see every day... Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:47 pm
    ----
My grandfather was in an M-7 preist during the big one in Italy. He was very fond of that gun Mr. Green

#3: Re: OT-Something you don't see every day... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 pm
    ----
A story as it was shared:

Vietnam 1965/66

A firebase with 175mm howitzers was the target of a large night assault. The VC/NVA penetrated the 'wire' and were approaching several of the gun pits. The gun crew along with the FDC authorization loaded Beehive (? 175mm Beehive!!??) on 'charge 3' (?) dropped the guns to zero elevation, and ...... Mr. Green

After the battle, the next ,orning, While checking the treeline several hundred meters away, remains ( of the attacking forces) were 'tacked' to the larger trees.

Several Breech rings had to be replaced, due to the rounds. Several rounds per gun were expended that evening.

Supposedly the first time Beehive was used in direct suppression from Artillery during Vietnam War.

Don

#4: Re: OT-Something you don't see every day... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:21 am
    ----
a similar story I heard (From an Artillery Captain assigned to the ROTC detachment at VMI in 1972) Was that the 175's would not drop to a zero elevation so they backed the guns to the back edge of he position raising the rear of the vehicle to lower the muzzle. There was no anti-personnel round for the 175 so they fired full charges and no round letting concussion from the muzzle blast do the work

In the same era I did hear of 105 & 155 firebases being in similar situations and 'nailing' NVA and VC to trees

#5: Re: OT-Something you don't see every day... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 pm
    ----
- bsmart
a similar story I heard (From an Artillery Captain assigned to the ROTC detachment at VMI in 1972) Was that the 175's would not drop to a zero elevation so they backed the guns to the back edge of he position raising the rear of the vehicle to lower the muzzle. There was no anti-personnel round for the 175 so they fired full charges and no round letting concussion from the muzzle blast do the work

In the same era I did hear of 105 & 155 firebases being in similar situations and 'nailing' NVA and VC to trees

I may be mixing two tales together. I read a lot of SLA Marshall, in my youth, mainly his Vietnam stuff, The 105 tale could have been from that source.

The 175 tale is from a totally different one. I omitted the fact that at least one guns muzzle was nearly touching the perimeter wire, when fired.

I'll check with my source and see if I can get clarification. Perhaps there was a mix of guns at the Firebase? Not sure, so I'll see if I can find out when, where, & and who.

More to follow
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board