T49 at Fort AP Hill
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:13 am
    ----
I made a little pit stop at the gate at Fort AP Hill today... Wink

For those that dont recognize it, the T49 was an attempt to make a 90mm gun-armed M41.

Neil

#2: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:16 am
    ----
Neil, what is the access situation there? I've wanted to stop by but didn't know what could be seen by the public.

KL

#3: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am
    ----
The security guard said we could take pictures as long as we didnt point towards the gate or post... Yes, I took the instructions a little liberally with the first pic Wink

Neil

#4: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
Thanks for the pics Neil. I've always heard of the T49 but never really saw a clear picture of one.

Almost (and I do mean almost) looks like a Mini M47. Mr. Green

#5: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 pm
    ----
I'm reading Hunnicutt's "Light Tank Vol 2" and it discusses this vehicle. Had the coincidence range finders. I think early versions had a machine gun mounted on each side of the bustle. This is a great find because they sure didn't make many of these! Mr. Green

#6: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:46 pm
    ----
I've known for some time that its been at Fort AP Hill, but never made a trip due to the reported restrictions. I was on my way to Petersburg, and decided to check it out on a lark...

Hunnicutt identifies a T49 in an APG storage lot - it may be the one at Fort AP Hill or possibly behind the fence somewhere at APG.

Neil

#7: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:36 pm
    ----
I went back and read again and found that another M41 prototype, the T-37, was the one with the bustle machine guns. I think it had the 76mm gun.
Also the T41 had them.

#8: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm
    ----
Can you get on base at all?

Don't they have Boy Scout Jamborees there? I was thinking it would be best to just wait until the next Jamboree - you could probably have free run of the place then.

KL

#9: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:13 pm
    ----
They said yes, during the week. Sounded like the visitor center was closed on weekends.

Neil

#10: Re: T49 at Fort AP Hill Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:01 am
    ----
Nice pictures Neil,

Always nice to find a rare bird. Interesting how they had to build up the turret for the rangefinder, since it would have to be above the recoil mech/breech. Doubt if it was linked to a M13 fire control computer, Just wouldn't be any room for it. I imagine the TC just announced the range and the gunner used a the telescope ballistic reticle. You wouldn't happen to have a picture showing the gunner's periscope/ right side turret top better?

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board