APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:47 pm
    ----
M4A2 Sherman with a Firefly turret - now in Canadian colors. I've heard of the regiment Lord Strathcona's Horse, but was there a Firefly simply known as "Strathcona"? I think its ironic they painted it in Canadian colors since the "other" Firefly turret lent by the British is on a Canadian Grizzy...

Personally, I would have rather had it painted in the original US test markings for the Sherman Firefly - although the turret was originally on an M4A3:

"AGF BOARD NO. 2
TEST OPERATION" on the side of the hull with the number "551."

But that's just me I guess... Better than trying to pass it off as an operational Firefly IMO... Plus no other Ordnance Museum vehicle is marked in the original test markings, which is kinda ironic...

According to this poster, the museum's Mk IV has a specific combat history that I've never seen before...

Also, when I visited the warehouse - I discovered that the M1918 Ford 3-man tank had new spark plugs, a new battery and a jump starter hooked up to it! The museum staff said it used to be a runner once before, and the restoration folks have gotten it going again Smile

I noticed the recently arrived USMC M1917 also had some new spark plugs, hmm....

Neil

#2: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:20 am
    ----
The markings on the M4A2 with the Firefly turret are incorrect.

"Strathcona" is a real tank name...it is the name of the CO's tank.

In WWII the history of "Strathcona" is recorded as follows in the LdSH(RC) Regimental Manual....

"Despite some argument about security, the name was allowed to stand for the Colonel's "command tank". Fitted with an extra wireless set, a desk and two swivel chairs in the turret, it possessed only a dummy wooden gun. It had a "near miss" at Melfa when an "88" hit the Commander's box; it had several AP rounds whiz past its rear at first light near Otterloo. It was one of several in the Regiment to run the full course- from Matera to Groningen- under the able guidance of one Parsons until he went to the hospital in April 1945, then by Tpr Stewart (ex-C Squadron)."

There were no Firefly 17 Pounders in the Strathcona Regimental HQ Troop.

#3: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 run Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:49 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I noticed the recently arrived USMC M1917

Neil,

do you have more information about this tank? Where does it come from? Do you have a photo of it?

P-O

#4: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:42 am
    ----
P-O,
Its the same M1917 from this thread:

www.com-central.net/in...85&start=0

The staff guy I talked to yesterday thought it came from the US Army Center for Military History, not Quantico, despite the USMC markings - but I'm not so certain about that....

Neil

#5: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 run Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 pm
    ----
I wonder if I have this one in the 6-ton tanks PDF list. I'll have a check later today. So, this tank is supposed to go to Quantico once it is restored, right?

P-O

#6: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:32 pm
    ----
Well... Assuming it is from Quantico like I & Mr Outopalik think it is...

Bob, have you talked to Ed about this M1917 in the warehouse?

Neil

#7: Re: APG #2 - M4A2 Sherman Firefly, Mk IV history & M1918 runner Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:28 am
    ----
It is a US Army asset, I'll have to check with Ed again. I think it had been borrowed by the Marines for display but was eventually returned

-> AFV News Discussion Board