John Deere Tank
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: John Deere Tank Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm
    ----
You just never know where armor will pop up. This is from one of my tractor forums that I read (tanks, old tractors, and my wife are my major hobbies Laughing )

The Aberdeen report makes for interesting reading. JD Tank

#2: Re: John Deere Tank Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:03 pm
    ----
My first thought was going to be front-end castor. As a youngster, I operated many a John Deere and I-H Farmall (and the occasional Ford, not to mention more than one mule) and the difference in the wide vs. narrow track in stability is huge, especially if you consider it for military applications. Wide track front end castor would have been the way to go. I don't know what they were thinking when they went with the narrow "trike" setup. Farming is one thing...military off-road is quite another.

#3: Re: John Deere Tank Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:02 am
    ----

A wide front was also designed and built.

#4: Re: John Deere Tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:28 am
    ----
Was someone inside those little turrets?

#5: Re: John Deere Tank Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:06 am
    ----
I guess they were manned. Instead of turrets, I think they are more like sponsons as seen on the British tanks of WWI.

#6: Re: John Deere Tank Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:30 am
    ----
One is reminded of the "home grown AFVs" worked up in England in the face of the threat of imminent invasion by the Germans in the summer of 1940.

-> AFV News Discussion Board