Boeing off their trolleys?
-> Officer's Club

#1: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 am
    ----
The solution to ending gridlock on our overcrowded roads is to take to the air in a plane-car hybrid that will revolutionise the way society works.

This vision of the future twenty years hence was revealed at the 2008 Electric Aircraft Symposium held a stone's throw from San Francisco airport in California.

Plotting the next frontier in green technology was Richard Jones, a technical fellow at Boeing Phantom Works.

He said "Today I am talking about making aviation available to everyone as a daily means of transportation. Transportation changes society."

"When they dumped the horse and cart people took over two continents. 150 years ago steam turned America into a nation. Today 50 per cent of the world lives in urban areas thanks to the car. And in the last 50 years, the aviation industry has made one world thanks to the airplane."

Not so sure that's a good idea meself.
What do YOU think?

#2: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:52 am
    ----
Ask George Jetson... (snickering)...lol

#3: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:55 am
    ----
Yeah I was thinking of Gerry Anderson's "Supercar".

Imagine having that many 'weapons' available to everyone.
Or just putting one in the hands of someone like Geedubbya.

#4: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:14 pm
    ----
Can you imagine putting 'flying cars' into the hands of ...well, let's say 'challenged drivers' to be correct?

#5: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:16 pm
    ----
Weapons in the hands of GeeDubya? I was thinking more along the lines of my teenage kids and their friends. I won't let them drive a car, imagine some kinda flying machine...ain't gonna happen! Twisted Evil

#6: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
You should see the way some of ours deal with roundabouts. And they're only TWO dimensional!

#7: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm
    ----
-S-

I think this guy is on the right track..I would love to own one of these babies...!!

www.moller.com/

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

#8: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:56 pm
    ----
Neither of these is a plane/car hybrid....they are personal aircraft, pure and simple. They cannot be operated on roads...and to build one that would will add a minimum of 1,000lbs. of weight in safety equipment to make it comply with crashworthiness and other saftey compliance features that regulators on both sides of the pond require, thus making such a design impractical due to the increased weight. You can drive to your local airport to your private aircraft, or house it in your garage, but it's still an aircraft...and will never be both car and aircraft.

Expect oodles of regulatory resistance to any type of VTOL aircraft for reasons of safety and noise. No one is going to permit a neighbor in the 'burbs to crank up a fan-driven hovercraft next door and take off over their house to commute to work....and the FAA isn't going to have it either. Wink

#9: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:11 pm
    ----
Possibly, but some idiot over here might.
Rolling Eyes

#10: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:30 pm
    ----
Being a former boater I noticed over and over again that you do not have to have any brains to own a boat, just money...

I am certain it would be the same in this case - but it will hurt a lot more....

#11: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:19 am
    ----
lol good point, and everso slightly worrying.

#12: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 am
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

I think this guy is on the right track..I would love to own one of these babies...!!

www.moller.com/

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

WHOA! I knew those wankel based engines would somehow turn up in aviation at some point... Wink

And Slow...LMAO
- Slowhand
Being a former boater I noticed over and over again that you do not have to have any brains to own a boat, just money...

Amen...lol

#13: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 am
    ----
Wink I think I'll leave flying to the professionals.

#14: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 pm
    ----
They're all coming out of the woodwork now.

#15: Re: Boeing off their trolleys? Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:01 am
    ----
~S~ All
A site with a few flying cars from the past.

inventorspot.com/artic..._cars_6835

-> Officer's Club