Leopard 2A6, YPR-765
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:09 pm
    ----

''Emergency braking''

YPR-765PRGWT

YPR-765PRCO

#2: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:09 pm
    ----
Great pictures there. Is that a T-55 or 62 in the background?
I'm unfamiliar with the braking system of a modern tank. How is emergency braking actually applied?
Regards

#3: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:43 pm
    ----
- rynoki
Great pictures there. Is that a T-55 or 62 in the background?
I'm unfamiliar with the braking system of a modern tank. How is emergency braking actually applied?
Regards

I don't know about "modern tanks", but when we did the same sort of manuver in M60 variants, we just pulled ourselves out of the seat (literally) by the T-bar and stood with both feet on the brake pedal, with pretty much the same effect (though undoubtedly from somewhat lower speeds). Lurid slides on dusty concrete. Mr. Green

Lesley, what type YPR is this? I might not have been supposed to have taken this shot at the time, is it the same place (Amersfoort)?

#4: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:02 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I don't know about "modern tanks", but when we did the same sort of manuver in M60 variants, we just pulled ourselves out of the seat (literally) by the T-bar and stood with both feet on the brake pedal, with pretty much the same effect (though undoubtedly from somewhat lower speeds). Lurid slides on dusty concrete. Mr. Green

Thanks doug. That's a vivid picture you paint. I guess that would be something you would hope to avoid doing in the wet!

#5: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:45 pm
    ----
- rynoki
- Doug_Kibbey

Thanks doug. That's a vivid picture you paint. I guess that would be something you would hope to avoid doing in the wet!

Understand that this manuver (at least in my day) was a "test manuver" only on hard surfaces and was frowned upon for purely entertainment value since it definitely scrubs off a lot of rubber from the track and shortens track life.

#6: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:14 am
    ----
Hi Doug, Rynoki,

As a former M60 and M1 crewman, I can tell you the difference is like night and day. The M60 had mechanical linkage which locked the brakes on the transmission, whereas the M60A1 and later models had hydraulic, neither were easy to use needing an extreme amount of effort to lock the track. The M1 transmission used an internal braking system that was power assisted, they actually locked up way too easy. In the early transition days it was common for crew members in the turret to get injured when the driver hit the brakes too hard being used to the old system. The disadvantage to the newer system was the brakes did not work when the engine was not running, not a problem with the older M60 series since they were independent. The parking/emergency brake on the M1 is also hydraulic, using the same system as the turret power and bilge pump.

Doing this with the M1 was far less stressfull because the link between the Transmission and the final drives are direct unlike the M60 which had universal joints that would shear with abuse (Been there, done that). I always would have trouble convincing my drivers when I arrived at a new unit that locking the brakes was OK on the M1. Doing it on hard surfaces is not normal since we operated mostly off road but it still wouldn't cause much trouble other than wear on the pads. A really good driver could lock them up and throw it in reverse before the tank stopped skidding forward. The hardest part was keeping the RPMS down so it would engage the reverse gear and being dexterious enough to switch the selector on the T-Bar (The M1 won't go in reverse until the RPMS are down to prevent destroying the transmission) . If done right the track would spin backward while the tank still moved forward, digging the prairie grass up of Ft Riley and lifting the spring loaded front fenders scaring the hell out of everyone around you. Stress was minimal since you were basically sliding until the tank gained traction. I wish someone we had digital camcorders/ cameras back then, but who knows, maybe the new generation will get this on film. I posted some brake test pictures a while back from Korea. They give you an idea how far you can slide on concrete.

Joe D

#7: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:35 am
    ----
Hello Doug,
For what I can seen it is a normal YPR-765PRI (Pantser Rups Infanterie = Armor Track Infantry).

The inside of a YPR with turret can be configurated as the normal infantry carrier but also for 3 persons (recce) and command vehicles for a company commander or XO which both have not the ''normal'' infantry seats.

The tank and YPR pictures are taken at the GenMaj de Ruyter van Steveninck barracks in Oirschot near Eindhoven.

The tank in the background is a former DDR T-55 from the Overloon museum in the Netherlands. The army is sometimes helping them and they returned a favour by sending their T-55.

Regards

Last edited by L.Delsing on Sun May 11, 2008 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 am
    ----
''Emergency brake'' is mostly done for demonstration purposes. The technical SM is not that happy with this because it eats rubber track pads (the same with demonstrating 360 degrees turns...)

The drivers warns the rest of the crew that he going to brake hard and pushes with both feet the pedal in the middle to the bottom, the rest is all with hydraulics.

#9: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:56 pm
    ----
Thanks for these great pictures!

About the drivers stations image posted above I have a question.

We can see three foot pedals.
The right one is the gas pedal.
The central one is the brake pedal.
The left one ???? .... or it is just for rest the foot?

As Leopard I crewman we know only two pedal, gas and brake.

Thank again
Giacomo

#10: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 pm
    ----
Hello Giacomo,
Yes the most right pedal is a footrest.

Are Italian Leopard 1s still in active service?

Regards
Lesley

#11: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:12 pm
    ----
Giacomo, are you anywhere near Milano? Or will you be from May 22-June 1?

#12: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:16 pm
    ----
Hi Lesley,
no more Italian Leo I in active service now.

Only one training unit got a few of them.

Great tank and wonderful time that we spent on it!

Best regards
Giacomo

#13: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:22 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Hi Doug,
I'm away from Milano, I live in Sardinia, just surrounded by the Mediterranian sea.

You come in Italy in the indicted days?

Benvenuto Doug

#14: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:44 pm
    ----
- giacomo415
- Doug_Kibbey

Hi Doug,
I'm away from Milano, I live in Sardinia, just surrounded by the Mediterranian sea.

You come in Italy in the indicted days?

Benvenuto Doug

Yep. You lucky devil, I hear the diving is excellent over there. I'm coming over for some work in the area, will be around during that period, but probably just in the Po Valley area.

Ciao!

#15: Re: Leopard 2A6, YPR-765 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:04 am
    ----
Thank you Joe D and L. Delsing.
Great info.

-> AFV News Discussion Board