Fort Stewart Museum?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:40 am
    ----
Tom Dinackus has sent me some info on the vehicles at the Fort Stewart Museum & elsewhere on post. But his info dates from 1997. Anyone been there recently to confirm what is there?

Unfortunately google maps doesnt have good resolution of Fort Stewart...

Neil

Fort Stewart Museum (Bldg T904), 2022 Frank Cochran Dr 1
BMP-1 SOV/IRQ out? Captured by 2-7 Infantry during ODS
BRDM-2 SOV/IRQ out? Captured by 1-64 Armor during ODS
BRDM-2 SOV/IRQ out?
BTR-60 SOV/IRQ out?
BTR-60 SOV/IRQ out?
BTR-60 electronic warfare SOV/IRQ out?
M4A3(75) Sherman USA out SN 62293
M15A1 MGMC USA out?
M24 Chaffee USA out?
M37 Priest USA out?
M47 Patton USA out?
M48 Patton USA out?
M74 USA out?
M113A2 USA out?
M114 USA out?
M163A1 USA out?
MT-LB SOV/IRQ out?
MT-LB command version SOV/IRQ out?
T-54 SOV/IRQ out
T-55 SOV/IRQ out
T-72M1 SOV/POL/IRQ ind
Type 69 CHN/IRQ out Captured by 3-69 Armor during ODS
YW531 CHN/IRQ out?
YW750 ambulance CHN/IRQ out?

Main Gate
M60A3 USA out
M110A2 USA out
M113A1 USA out

National Guard Area
M4A1(75) Sherman USA out fake barrel?

Range Control
M41 Walker Bulldog USA out?

3-7 Cavalry Headquarters
M114 USA out

#2: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
I stopped by in the Fall of 2005. They moved the Ft Stewart base entrance display armor- M60A3 and M113 to the museum front, and M110A2 behind the museum, have replaced them with an Abrams, Bradley, and M110A6.

The M114 and and M113(A1?) are missing.

As far as Iraqi/Russian armor, there were alot of empty spaces in the side lot. There were no BRDM-2 or BTR-60's present. Missing as well was the T-54, T-55, and MTLB command (SOVA?).

Ray

#3: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:18 pm
    ----
Ray,
Many thanks! I assume you mean an M109A6?

Any comment on the other US armor? - M15A1 multiple gun motor carriage half-track, M24 Chaffee, M37 Priest, M47 Patton, M48 Patton, M74 heavy recovery vehicle... And the Chinese APC & armored ambulance?

Thanks again in advance!

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:09 pm
    ----
Neil, I stand corrected. An M109A6 Paladin is displayed at the entrance.

#5: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:20 pm
    ----
Many thanks Ray! Can you possibly send me any higher resolution versions of the Abrams pic (or any other pics you may have that include the side skirts). I'd like to try to make out the SN stamped on the skirts...

Neil

#6: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:44 pm
    ----
Unfortunately my photos don't seem to have high enough resolution to make out any serial numbers imprinted on the skirts. I've included additional photos of the markings on the front and back, to possibly identify the Abrams.

#7: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm
    ----
Here's the other armor. M-47, M-48, and M60A3

#8: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 pm
    ----
M-24 Chaffee, M4A3 Sherman, and M163A1

#9: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:53 pm
    ----
M15A1, M110A2, M113A(?)

#10: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:56 pm
    ----
T72M-1,M-37 and BMP-1

#11: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:58 pm
    ----
YW531 CHNIRQ, YW750 ambulance, and MT-LB

#12: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: RayV PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 pm
    ----
That's it for the Museum armor. There's a few artillery pieces, an M1941A searchlight and a WWII ambulance. I'm not sure about the National Guard Area Sherman, Range control Bulldog, or HQ M114.

Ray

#13: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:23 pm
    ----
Aaah,

another "Eyetalian" M47 back in the homeland... Is it just the angle or does the M48 look somehow strange?

The M113 should be an A2 and the MT-LB's exact variant escapes me right now.

Thanks for sharing, looks like a nice collection.

Cheers,

Jens O.
(missing his little box of smilie faces) Wink

#14: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 pm
    ----
Hi RayV...

Great pics...and recognizing that you're a relatively new poster here, I want to gently call to your attention a "sticky" thread and matter of site policy regarding the posting of pics (an "admin" decision and one designed to take into consideration the fact that not every member is on a high speed connection):

www.com-central.net/in...pic&t=7960

By no means should this be taken as any discouragement toward posting your pics...we're enthusiastic about hosting them and seeing them. But if you'd limit the number to any one thread to ten, that will help our members on dialup and keep in compliance with site policy. Dont' hesitate to start another thread on the same topic and just add "cont'd" or something. Heck, you can start five threads on the same subject if you've got that many pics as good as you've posted so far...very impressive!

And welcome to the the DG!

Many Thanks!

Doug

#15: Re: Fort Stewart Museum? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:56 am
    ----
Nice pictures RayV, Thanks for sharing,

Jens,

The M48 looks odd but I think it's because she's sitting so low in the rear (most likely busted torsion bar, look at the support roller to road wheel distance) and the M60A3 in the background makes here look really small. The M2 on the cupola missing the forward receiver and barrel don't help either.

I found the M1A1 pictures most interesting. Looks like an early 120mm prototype/ converted M1 turret and hull. Notice the left NBC sponson is different and uses an exhaust port for the the crew heater. Rear deck is "slick" missing the access covers for the oil coolers and the front headlight gaurds are verticle instead of angled. The turret is also a converted 105 affair. No "Man-hole cover" in front of the loaders hatch for later CITV upgrade, early gunner's sight doghouse, and the TC's cupola appears to be the older mechanical cable vs solenoid operated M2. The one thing that really stands out is the gun mantel, a converted 105mm affair with extra armor plate to include covering up the opening below the Co-axial MG for the Gunner's Aux sight. Never seen that before. Would be very interesting to get the SN from this one.

Dontos, chime in here if you notice anything else.

Joe D

Missing the smilies on quick reply too.

-> AFV News Discussion Board