Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am
    ----
...said to be outside a VFW in Mcdonald, PA. Couldn't find such a place in mapquest. An "Easy Eight", I believe. I checked the registry, but couldn't find a match. The one at a park in Monessen, maybe?

#2: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:15 am
    ----
Here it is on google maps - will have to check against other listings:

maps.google.com/maps?f...,-80.23495

Is that a VFW or AL in the background?

Neil

#3: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:19 am
    ----
The American Legion in Cecil PA looks like a very likely culprit - less than 6 miles from McDonald...

Neil

#4: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:39 am
    ----
The young man in question isn't sure now, it's been a year or so. The pic is the best info we have. He thought McDonald, but I couldn't find such a place in mapquest. I told him I'd get back to him with whatever you thought. The pic is about one year old, if that helps.

#5: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 am
    ----
Google Streetview comes to the rescue again! Looks like a match for Cecil to me:

maps.google.com/maps?h...8297872384

Totally bogus painted RN BTW...

Neil

#6: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:42 pm
    ----
I think I have a picture of the Cecil Sherman taken last summer (When I was running out to pick up the Tux for my daughters wedding (don't tell enyone :-)) but yea from memory that closeup looks like a pretty good match. Kurt Laughlin may have more information that is in his neck of the woods.

#7: Re: Neil...do you know this M4 for the registry.... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 pm
    ----
Yup, Cecil PA. I wondered about the best location name myself when I found it as it is in one of those "wide spot in the road" communities that are common in western PA that has the historic name "A-town" but is in "West B Township" and is served by the "C-ville" Post office . However, because the photographer is standing about 250 ft from the Cecil PA Post Office, I figured that was the best label. Smile

KL

True examples: My mother's family house was in Bocktown, which was in Independence Township, and had an Aliquippa, PA mailing address. My father, on the other hand grew up in Laughlin's Corners, which was in Greene Township, and used the Hookstown P.O. The house I grew up in was merely in Center Township as the particular area had no historic name (unlike nearby Stobo or Sylvan Crest). We lived one house off a four-way intersection. All the time I lived there our mailbox was on the NE corner of the intersection and we had a Monaca PA address. Two years ago - after 58 years - my dad decided he was tired of walking 200 ft to get his mail, so he moved his box to the SW corner, directly across from his front door, which transported his house to Aliquippa PA. I mention this last bit for Neil's benefit, as I've being trying to get him to place the "Pittsburgh" M60A3 in Plum Borough, where it actually resides, for the last couple of Register revisions.)

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board