American Tanks For Sale
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: American Tanks For Sale Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 pm
    ----
This was sent to me by a friend, just something to read........

"American Tanks For Sale

I receive several 100 searches a week from people looking for American Tanks for sale. Some history on American military equipment. Very little of it is for sale, even less of it is legal to buy. The U.S.A. Government has sold very little if its military equipment to the public. 99% of the WWII tanks (Sherman's, hellcats, etc) still belong to the United States Government.
Short version to explain this: At the end of WWII thousands of tanks and other military items where sitting around taking up space. Space that could be used for other things like golf courses. So the US Government Loaned to cities a tank or other item to be placed in the local park, playground, school, cemetery, or VFW post. With the understanding that this item still belongs to the Us Government if they ever want it back they can just come pick it up. Now we have political correctness take hold, can't have that unsafe reminder of war on the playground, cities going bankrupt, VFW posts closing and the city fathers and mothers don't know what to do with this tank. The people who made the agreement with the US Government are gone. So the current leaders auction it off to the highest bidder. (Possession of Stolen Government Property). They spend 1000's of hours and even more money restoring it to like new condition. But, its still belongs to the US Government and can come claim it at any time.

If you really want a US tank that does not still belong to the US Government start looking in other countries. Look for one that was paid for (not military aid). Don't look in countries like Israel they have tons of US equipment that I would love to bring home. But, none of it can be imported back to the US because it was not paid for.

I wish you luck in your search."

#2: Re: American Tanks For Sale Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:39 am
    ----
In the same way the US Navy, represented by the Naval Historical Center (NHC), actively maintains its ownership of Navy aircraft wrecks. Individuals and private museums recovering downed planes or artifacts from wreck sites can expect the full weight of the DOJ to come down on them. Cases have gone all the way to the Supreme Court, but the court has turned down requests to hear the cases.

#3: Re: American Tanks For Sale Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am
    ----
Curiously enough about 4 months ago I was asked if I could provide details of artillery pieces that I knew of in private hands in the USA by a government organisation that should not be difficult to figure out.

They appear to be working on the principle that the weapons would never have been sold to individuals and therefore they must have been monument weapons that have been illegally resold.

I would suggest that some people are going to get a shock (amongst other things) some time in the near future unless they can prove clear provenance back to the manufacturers or government. Conversely the artillery museums will probably do very well out of this...

#4: Re: American Tanks For Sale Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:00 pm
    ----
Jim Said:

Conversely the artillery museums will probably do very well out of this...

Unfortunately, with the current prices for scrap metal I wouldn't put it past some Mid Level officer to suggest selling off many of the items that are no longer wanted by these Cities. Instead of paying the high transport costs (Fuel) to get the item back under military control they would just contract some one to take it to a local Steel Mill. A tank can fetch quite a bit of money. From 75 Dollars/ton in 2001 to over 500 Dollars/ ton now. An M60 even after stripping down could fetch at least $22,000. Food for thought.

Joe D

#5: Re: American Tanks For Sale Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:17 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Jim Said:

Conversely the artillery museums will probably do very well out of this...

Unfortunately, with the current prices for scrap metal I wouldn't put it past some Mid Level officer to suggest selling off many of the items that are no longer wanted by these Cities. Instead of paying the high transport costs (Fuel) to get the item back under military control they would just contract some one to take it to a local Steel Mill. A tank can fetch quite a bit of money. From 75 Dollars/ton in 2001 to over 500 Dollars/ ton now. An M60 even after stripping down could fetch at least $22,000. Food for thought.

Joe D

....And yet millions will be payed to play political shell games with historical properties, with no justification of viable financial 'return' or any realistic cost savings......

#6: Re: Artillery pieces Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Curiously enough about 4 months ago I was asked if I could provide details of artillery pieces that I knew of in private hands in the USA by a government organisation that should not be difficult to figure out.

They appear to be working on the principle that the weapons would never have been sold to individuals and therefore they must have been monument weapons that have been illegally resold ...

The principle they are working on is sound, however possession is 9/10th of the law for historic articles. For instance with sunken treasure, government agencies have to go out of their way to show jurisdiction. I don't know where the onus of proof lies in the US on these matters, but most present-day owners will know the history of their gun much letter than any three or four letter boys.

Question of the day, if ownership of a supposedly stolen French 75mm was a crime, would it be a collar-less crime or a v-neck t-shirt collar vs a white collar offence?

#7: Re: Artillery pieces Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:42 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh

Question of the day, if ownership of a supposedly stolen French 75mm was a crime, would it be a collar-less crime or a v-neck t-shirt collar vs a white collar offence?

More like a camouflage pattern collar crime I suspect....

-> AFV News Discussion Board