PreservedTanks.com
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 am
    ----
Tichenor, thanks a lot for that. I'll be writing an update page soon (probably about September), and at that point it would be great if you could give me more details and some photographs. Currently I'm swamped with putting existing stuff on the site (for example, I need to put Preserved Tanks in Russia up, but that's 600 tanks and 300 photos)!

#32: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:27 am
    ----
Hello Tichenor,
This is what I have about Belgian Leopard 1s.

Camp Lagland
These tanks were in a relatively good condition.
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 7442 54507 wre ‘03
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8124 54542 wre ‘03
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8425 54637 wre ‘03
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8513 54661 wre ‘03
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 54689 wre ‘03

BRUSSEL, BRUSSELS HOOFDSTEDELIJK GEWEST
Royal Armed forces museum, Jubelpark 3
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 54047 dep
Leopard 1A5(BE)BEL 8580 54678 pre feb07

54047 was in the museum but is gone know, but I hope it survived somewhere.

ELSENBORN, LUIK
Training area
Leopard 1(BE) BEL wre -

KAPELLEN, OOST-VLAANDEREN
Royal Armed Forces Museum, storage area
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 7293 54500 std jun04
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8121 54539 std jun05

54500 was noted in dec06 by 2/4th Lancers for maintenance., is 54539 the one with the ERA like bricks around the turret. Several years ago it was driving at the Beverloo training area nr Leopoldsburg. But at the 2/4th Lancers they didn't know were it was gone, or at least the current RSM didn't know.

Leopoldsburg
2/4th Lancers
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8082 54788 pre mar08
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8046 54793 pre mar08

Armour School
Leopard 1(BE) BEL 8116 54535 pre mar08
This one was still there, all the others went to Kapelle according to the armour school. Even all the preserved turrets were gone.

K-blocks
Leopard 1 (BE) turret only

Do you have any serialnumbers (or registrationnumbers) of the Leopard 1s you mentioned. I'am very interested in pictures of these Leopard 1s.

Do you know what happened to the Leopard 1(BE) in the Brussel museum?

Regards,
Lesley

#33: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:11 pm
    ----
Hello Lesley

About the Leopards in Lagland, I have to be honest its a black spot to me (for now). Last time I was there is about three years ago and I didn't see any Leopards there, but I wasn't looking for them.

What has happend to the Leopard 54047 witch was in Brussels, haven't got a clue but probably went to Kapellen ( not sure about that)

Elsenborn again the same never seen it.

Kapellen BTW its in Antwerpen, the 54500 is used for demo's frequently and 54539 is the prototype of the 1A5(BE) series but it hasn't got ERA attached just the extra armorplates around the turret.

Leopoldsburg: thats the same as I have, only there are still two M47 Patton turrets in front of the Bar at the former Armour school.

The two 1A2 in Marche en Famenne: they serve as a monument at the barracks of the 1/3 Lancers and have n° 54595 and 54800; Serialnumbers were hiddden by paint. Pictures of them:
www.flickr.com/photos/23979422@N03/

Some extras: in Brasschaat there are two Leopards on the Groot schietveld. Its just the hull and turret and they are in the target zone, but last time I was there they seemded to be in not to bad shape.

The one in Zelzate has been donated by the 2 Gidsen in 2000
www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2PDQ

#34: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: Paul_Jungnitsch PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:47 pm
    ----
Heh, see you are getting lots of Leopards, but in case you want another one there's a prototype Leopard 1 on display at the Artillery Museum at CFB Shilo Manitoba, Canada.

#35: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 am
    ----
Paul_jungnitsch - thanks for that, I'll add it my database as soon as I can.

#36: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:18 pm
    ----
Trevor

Forget wat I told about the JPK's sold to Turkey, it was a just a rumor. I talked to a guy today who was present wen they were scraped. Seems they are a cut to small pieces.

Lesley
The Leopard in Zelzate has serial n° 8122 and registration nr 54721
Michel

#37: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 am
    ----
Hello Michel,
Thanks for the numbers!

#38: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:39 am
    ----
A labour of love! The last few weeks I've been mapping in Google all the preserved tanks I know in north-east USA and Ontario, Canada:

Neil, I've also added in tanks from your register that I didn't have - I hope that's alright. They're the ones in purple (and contain a credit to you). There are still a few more to add. The mapping showed up a few errors or at least discrepancies in your list, but nothing major.

The reason for doing this is because I fly out to NY and PA on Tuesday on a family holiday. We're actually following my daughter on a choir tour (indicated with blue markers) so I'm looking to see what tanks I can visit and photograph as we go along. Unfortunately travel is by bus, so I'm limited to what I can reach from our hotels en route by taxi, plus perhaps the occasional car hire.

Originally I had hoped to ask if anyone could see errors or omissions in the map, but now I see how it's grown it's obvious that's a hurculean task. Instead, I'm showing it in the hope it will inspire forum members in that region to appreciate what they've got, and to go out in their spare time and visit and photograph these vehicles. Just zoom in where you live and take our pick - you guys are spoilt for choice! I've worked hard to get the most accurate locations so I can extract the latitude and longitude data for the database - in many cases you can zoom in and see the actual tank in the satellite view.

Meanwhile, having done a number of these maps (Poland, Britain and others) I've learned that it's too hard to do and change this way. Instead I'm working on automatic mapping from the database on my website and that's coming along nicely. Here's a quick example (showing the display area at Duxford, zoomed in) to give you an idea how it's going to work:

preservedtanks.com/mapping.aspx

#39: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 am
    ----
Trevor

Here is my Ft Knox Google Map effort, if you haven't already seen it.

Armored Ghosts of Ft Knox

I haven't updated it lately, so some vehicle movement isn't taken into account with the map.

Don

#40: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:51 am
    ----
I have seen it and was very impressed with it. I hope to put the information from my Fort Knox booklet on the website soon, and I hope you'll consider helping me update it. Using the coded system I mentioned means that updating the database will automatically update the map, so it will always stay in synch.

It will also allow you to do other useful things, like create a map of all surviving vehicles of a certain type (e.g. Ontos), for example.

#41: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:48 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I have seen it and was very impressed with it. I hope to put the information from my Fort Knox booklet on the website soon, and I hope you'll consider helping me update it. Using the coded system I mentioned means that updating the database will automatically update the map, so it will always stay in synch.

It will also allow you to do other useful things, like create a map of all surviving vehicles of a certain type (e.g. Ontos), for example.

Cool

Ontos Index & Service Locations

Still needs somecleaning up & updates, but here you go.....

Don

#42: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 pm
    ----
Very nice! My point is that with a single central database you can select what maps you want to see, e.g. Ontos in Europe, all tanks in Fort Knox, M60A3s in Pennsylvania, Soviet tanks in France, etc. all from the same information source, and that's what I'm working on.

#43: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:13 pm
    ----
Hello Trevor

Nice work, seems we are working in the same direction at the moment. It's also my intention to display the entry's of the database on a map as you demonstrated here. For the moment work on that is halted due to other priorities.

Michel

#44: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
The reason for doing this is because I fly out to NY and PA on Tuesday on a family holiday. We're actually following my daughter on a choir tour (indicated with blue markers) so I'm looking to see what tanks I can visit and photograph as we go along. Unfortunately travel is by bus, so I'm limited to what I can reach from our hotels en route by taxi, plus perhaps the occasional car hire.

I'm now in the US and the trip is well underway - first Philadelphia, then New York. I managed to get to two tanks in PA, but had less luck in NY - more details in my blog:

www.preservedtanks.com

#45: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 pm
    ----
Time is tight (after midnight) so I've just added a quick entry to my blog about last Saturday (getting to the Danbury collection):

www.preservedtanks.com

-> AFV News Discussion Board