-GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 am
    ----
Go figure,

Can't see how they can copyright an official government document. Mine came from the Armor School House and was issued to brand new LT's going through the Armor Basic Course in the 80's.

Don,

I know what you mean about those WWII tankers. I've had the pleasure of meeting a few and loved hearing of their experiences. The Justice of the Peace that married me and the Mrs was a WWII tanker. Would've never knew it if he hadn't asked what I did for a living. I wish more had been able to record their stories before passing on. Used to tell my crews during TTXII that degraded gunnery will save your life. When all the fancy stuff fails you can still kill old school, just gotta know the basics. Then explained gunnery before Laser Range Finders, computers, stabilization and all the other "Crutches" they have.

About Wittmans experience, From what I recall the German Tanks had a notoriously slow traverse rate for the turret, that was one advantage the Sherman had. Being able to pivot would greatly compensate for this if the crew took advantage of the capability. During an ARTEP I had to do this because I lost my Hydraulic pump, The mechanics just removed the pump from the AGB and I had to rely on my AUX pump. Really sucked. I always wondered why the US never made a TD/ Assault Gun like the Germans or Russians. It would've allowed for a much larger gun. Could being unable to pivot be one of the reasons??

Joe D

#17: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Go figure,

Can't see how they can copyright an official government document. Mine came from the Armor School House and was issued to brand new LT's going through the Armor Basic Course in the 80's.

Joe D

They are not copyrighting the government material but only their added material and the presentation of the source material. It is done fairly often. Some volumes of the 'Green Books' have been republished by other publishers. I've never seen one that includes the fantastic foldout maps that were in the originals (and aren't in the recent paperback versions the GPO has put out Sad )

That is part of the problem with Government documents being in the public domain. There is nothing stopping someone from making copies (either in whole or in part) and selling it. And I believe there is a market for those reprints. Especially in the days before the Internet when the only sources of some of this information was copies of copies that were passed around.

Let me see if I can dig my copy out and get it up in an online archive

I just looked back at the website again. I believe LULU is one of those 'print on demand sites. Also Merriam Press is a reputable source. I believe it is actually one guy who has been making reprints of old techmanuals and other nich market books available for years. He posts on a WWII mailing list I also frequent. He is entiteled to be compensated for his efforts in putting the information out. His version will probably be much more polished than the copy I put online.

#18: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:24 pm
    ----
Okay I have found the copy I made online. I have it saved in a folder as 85 seperate jpg images (one per page) It comes to about 14 MB uncompressed

I'm looking for some advice on how it should be packaged. I plan on making it available for everyone but if someone with some experience in getting things like this ready to put up on the server can contact me I would appreciate it

#19: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:08 pm
    ----
You can post them on Flickr.com for free. I just started using Flickr and am totally impressed. Smile

#20: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:39 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
You can post them on Flickr.com for free. I just started using Flickr and am totally impressed. Smile

The problem isn't posting them as they are it is in getting them into a more effiecent format. Right now each page is a seprate JPG file. That is 85 seperate images. I would lik eto get them into a single document, hopefully at something smaller than the 13.5 MB they are currently.

My best guess right now is to zip them all up in an archive

#21: Re: -GONE-Book Up For Grabs-GONE Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:40 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

The problem isn't posting them as they are it is in getting them into a more effiecent format. Right now each page is a seprate JPG file. That is 85 seperate images. I would lik eto get them into a single document, hopefully at something smaller than the 13.5 MB they are currently.

My best guess right now is to zip them all up in an archive

-> AFV News Discussion Board